Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done their motor with old v-belt setup instead of surpentine? I have all my accessories (brackets)from my 70 stang that I could use, or just order a dress up kit for a 70 stang to use. I will only be using the Alt in the Cobra for now. No power steering or ac compressor etc.

·
Non-whiner
10,646 Posts
I did, make sure you have a four hole crank pulley and not a three hole.

·
5,559 Posts
I have a v-belt setup on mine, with just the alternator. I ordered the FMS underdrive v-belt pulleys which are aluminum. I love the look of them, and they work great, but you have to be sure to have enough tension on the belt. I had it tensioned properly when I first put it together, but after about 100 miles, it either stretched slightly, or the bracket moved a little. It made a most embarrassing high pitched squeal because of the slippery aluminum! It was so loud it drowned out the sidepipes. Once I got home, I just snugged it a little more, and it was fine. I haven't needed to touch it again for the last 3000 miles. Maybe, they just need to be "broken in" or something...

Brian

·
USAF Lifer (Retired)
1,221 Posts
The H2O pump must be swapped out, not just the pulley. You need one that turns the same direction as the crank(clockwise?). The serpentine H2O pump turns the opposite of crank rotation

·
7,676 Posts
I found pulleys at a tow yard, sand blasted them and painted them Ford blue to match the engine.

I've sent you an e-mail with a photo.

Ray

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,735 Posts
I made my own alternator bracket out of 3/8" aluminum stock, stainless steel bolts and spacers.

The pulleys are polished aluminum from March. I have a 4 bolt harmonic balancer. I know that Summit sells them.

Good luck.

Rick

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,735 Posts
I made my own alternator bracket out of 3/8" aluminum stock, stainless steel bolts and spacers.

The pulleys are polished aluminum from March. I have a 4 bolt harmonic balancer. I know that Summit sells them.

Good luck.

Rick

·
5,559 Posts
kobrak,

As I said, I used the 3 pulley set from FMS. For the bracket, I used a $20 chrome one designed for the older smallblocks. It isn't a direct bolt on, though, as it was designed for the early water pumps that had the hose inlet pointing toward the passenger side. I just made custom spacers so everything would line up. I also had to grind a section out of the lower slotted arm, so it would clear the alternator body enough to allow adjustment. Since it is chrome, I just carefully ground the offending edge, then clearcoated the bare metal so it wouldn't rust where the plating was removed. I really like this setup because it is original looking (other than the chrome), and it tucks the alternator down low. I don't like the way the aftermarket ones have it cluttering the top of the engine, but they are easier to set up right out box, so it all depends how much you wish to spend, and what look is best for you...

Brian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts