Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
No longer just a dreamer
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice/experience...

95 302 block, getting down to just the alternator, WP, and crank pulleys manual steering, no AC, no idler). I have the reverse rotation timing cover and WP, but am considering swapping them for standard rotation to get to a simple v-belt setup with the alternator as the tensioner and clockwise rotation.

Anybody done this before? Have a year/model suggestion to get the timing cover from (I've looked at the timing cover options and know about the sensor/pump options... just don't know which years had which one). Suggestions for aftermarket brackets/pulleys? I've been looking at CVFRacing and March, but wouldn't mind paying less than that if possible. Any concerns about doing this on a 95 block for any reason?

Thanks,
Chad

·
Junior Charter Member
1,146 Posts
Nope, as a matter of fact, most engines were before 1985. A single V belt system with adjusting alternator and standard rotation water pump was exactly that - the standard. It can also be done with a serpentine belt, no idlers needed.

Steel factory brackets are durable, the cost/ performance ratio extremely effective. CNC aluminum will be 10-15X higher with no real benefits other than looks.

·
Snake Farmer
10,382 Posts
You can get a suitable alternator bracket fairly inexpensively, that allows for tightening the belt, and getting rid of the donor tensioner. One of the forum vendors has this one.

Alternator Bracket kit

It's the proper V-belt type pulleys, I think that you may have trouble finding.
The offset of the hubs would have to be perfect to get the belt to line up with all of them. I suppose you could make spacers for the alternator, and w/pump pulley's but I don't know what you would do about the balancer pulley?

Is there even a complete aftermarket matching set available for the 302? I've never seen one..

·
Charter Member
601 Posts
Yes i have done exactly what you want to do, on a 95 motor also. I would have to look back into my notes to find out what pump i boought (feel like it was a crown vic pump). Anyways id have to go look for you to be certain. I recently added power steering and kept one belt also. Using the march alternator bracket. FMS pulles.

Attachments

·
Charter Member
601 Posts
I went back and looked at my 10 year old notes for you. 84 or 85 Crown vic is standard rotation and they come in cast or aluminum.

here is my setup again with PS

Attachments

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
For my 91 302 block, I have a v-belt setup with only an alternator. Used these parts. Wish I could tell you this stuff is cheap -- they're not. The Edelbrock water pump isn't mandatory. A stock one would probably be fine. I was in the upgrade mode I guess. Setup does fit and work perfectly however.

Timing cover: Ford RF-E7PE-6059-AA. Standard rotation SBF timing cover, with manual fuel pump mounting and oil dipstick hole. I don't know what year engine this part came from. It has a magnetic sensor bracket, so a somewhat later model.

Water pump: Edelbrock 8843 Victor Series Mechanical, clockwise rotation. Required .125 spacer between flange and March pulley bracket to line up belts.

Water pump pulley: March 1618 single v-belt, 5.25 inch diameter. Also installed March MCH-312 water pump nose cover.

Crankshaft pulley: March 1614 single v-belt, 5.5 inch diameter.

Alternator pulley: March 137 single v-belt, 2.687 inch diameter.

Alternator mounting kit: March MCH-30355.

A few pics. Sorry I don't have a good one from the alternator side.

·
No longer just a dreamer
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Getting closer

Thanks for the info guys. Defintiely getting closer to a solution I think.

Mort - Your first pic is generally what I'm going for.

I have been looking at different timing cover - looks like a 88 Mustang cover was designed without the mechanical fuel pump boss or the crankshaft sensor. Can anyone confirm that?

I think there are also two different pump form factors... a short and a long. Anybody know the dimensions on those, or what have you used with a stock damper/pulley on a 95 motor?

I picked up a bracket this weekend. Getting heads back from the shop this week hopefully and will start test fitting before I pull the trigger on a cover/pump/pulleys.

·
No longer just a dreamer
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep... knew I had seen that somewhere. That will probably get me what I need.

Thanks Mort. Will post pics when I get it sorted out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts