Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of used 8.8 gears out there. You can find them for 2/3 the price of new. Is it worth saving a couple bucks over new? I think no matter how well they are set up, they still have to break in again and will start off pretty well worn. Any real life experiences, good or bad, you have had would help me make up my mind. Man, I hate being a natural miser.

·
Rip Snortin Post Maniac
1,044 Posts
New ring and pinion sets are only like $175. With all that's involved in putting a set in, I sure wouldn't take the chance on buying used.

·
Senior Charter Member
517 Posts
I bought used FMS 3.27 from Steeda, low mile gears $50.00. The interesting thing is that the gears went in spec using the same shims. My used gear experience was a good on. I would only buy FMS gears, new or used, due to ease of set up.
Buzz

·
Registered
231 Posts
I bought a used set of 3.55s off of the Corral for $80 that had a few small chips in them that went unnoticed until the installer was setting them up. He calls me and when I look real close sure enough there they are. He asked if I wanted to get different ones because of the chance of howling etc. and I said no throw them in. No problems so far but I wouldnt buy used gears again.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,067 Posts
I bought brand new Ford 3.55 gears still in the Ford box for $49 on Ebay. If you're not in a hurry keep your eyes open, the deals are out there.

Greg

·
Caress of Steel
2,181 Posts
Most of the 3.27's on eBay are take-offs from newer Mustangs...very little if any wear. Any steeper than that and I'd buy new, because they're likely hammered.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts