Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not quite ready to go cart yet, so lots of grains of salt here!

I had done enough reading / forum searches to decide that it works.

Using 98 ABS module (stand alone but only 3 channel) and the standard front brakes.

The 2015 has a different "tone ring" design, but the important thing is that it is the same tone count as the older front ring.

Plan on simply wiring up the rear sensors to the ABS module as though they were the 98 vintage.

Few weeks away from go cart so will try and remember to update then.

Greg_M was one of the users on this forum who had previously posted on the topic I think - I had PM from him answering a question anyway....

Greg Hevron

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,851 Posts
I have not researched this but 'think' I saw something about aftermarket ABS controllers. I wonder if they exist, and if so, maybe be better at matching different speed sensor inputs.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. John's list is very helpful.

Anyone have confirmation that the front sensors will physically fit the older spindles/hubs? I did some research and offer the following.

Rear Sensor BRAB406 - Fits 15-17 Mustang
Front Sensor BRAB291 - Fits 05-10 Mustang (I also noted that John used a Wilwood 250-6249 caliper mount which fits 99-04 Mustang)

Not sure if the sensors are active or passive type but John says that they work with the 07-09 GT500 ABS module.

Also, the MK4 came on Saturday. :grin2:

Dean

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not quite sure I follow the question - I used the front sensors and ring from the 98 mustang.

I used the F5R 2-piece spindles. They don't have a mount for the sensor. Russ Thompson makes a simple piece of aluminum to mount them in place.

If you are using the mustang spindles then the sensor should mount. (at least for the newer mustangs that had ABS as an option. 94+?)

·
Registered
4 Posts
dhuff,

I have no value to add to the conversation, just more questions (I would like to incorporate ABS as well on a 2015 IRS setup).
Are you planning on using the 2015 mustang ABS control module?
What front spindles are you using?
What brake master cylinder are you using?
Do you know if the ABS Control module communicates with an ECU or is it standalone?
I've read that ABS modules are pre programmed for the dynamic response of a specific vehicle. So if you move it to an MK4, I wonder how it would work with the lighter vehicle.

Thanks,
Charles

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
dhuff,

I have no value to add to the conversation, just more questions (I would like to incorporate ABS as well on a 2015 IRS setup).
Are you planning on using the 2015 mustang ABS control module?
What front spindles are you using?
What brake master cylinder are you using?
Do you know if the ABS Control module communicates with an ECU or is it standalone?
I've read that ABS modules are pre programmed for the dynamic response of a specific vehicle. So if you move it to an MK4, I wonder how it would work with the lighter vehicle.

Thanks,

Charles

This link is very helpful. (hopefully it works since i have not yet tried to include a link) Dean

didn't get included. search for "ST2 ABS install in FFR#48"
Dean

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,851 Posts
This thread covers john's old car. The roadster w/ 3 link.
ST2 ABS install in FFR#48
I spent 10 min looking through the coupe build and can't find if he has ABS on it or not

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
This thread covers john's old car. The roadster w/ 3 link.
ST2 ABS install in FFR#48
I spent 10 min looking through the coupe build and can't find if he has ABS on it or not
I remember reading that John isn't using ABS in his Coupe. Didn't like how it felt on the track apparently.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I remember reading that John isn't using ABS in his Coupe. Didn't like how it felt on the track apparently.
Anyone know why the '07-'09 GT500 ABS modules work but the newer models do not?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,851 Posts
Based on how everything at Lexus has progressed I am thinking it is because the newer cars have other systems tied into the ABS ECU. The first that comes to mind would be stability control where the system can both release caliper pressure and apply caliper pressure.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Charles -

In my case I used the FFR spindles. The tone rings come on the hubs, so all you have to worry about is mounting the sensor. (No provision on the FFR spindles). Russ Thompson sells an easy little piece of aluminum to accomplish that and allow for adjustment.

Newer mustang spindles would have that mount built in.

87-93 not so sure.......

Go carting very soon so I will let you know how it goes!

Greg

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dhuff,

Just out of curiosity, what front spindles are you using?

-Charles
i've decided to go with the '95 mustang spindles. i will be using the FFR tubular lower control arms.

Dean

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,851 Posts
Realizing they are more money but, the FFR spindles do get you the latest and best FFR front end geometry. You can get close w/ SAI mod kit from Whitbys added to the 95s but then the $ advantage of using donor spindles is gone.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Realizing they are more money but, the FFR spindles do get you the latest and best FFR front end geometry. You can get close w/ SAI mod kit from Whitbys added to the 95s but then the $ advantage of using donor spindles is gone.
i had considered those. At $700 they are about $450 more than used spindles with new hubs. Are the hubs good quality or economy?

Thanks Dean

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had the same argument with myself last spring. Then a phone call to Whitby to confirm they were out of the SAI mod kits, with no immediate plans to fab any. made the decision much easier.......

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,851 Posts
I do understand from experience that there are variations in hub quality but I don't know what FFR supplies. I got my FFR spindles from a guy w/o the hubs. I then bought these hubs from AZ.
http://www.autozone.com/suspension-steering-tire-and-wheel/wheel-bearing-hub-assembly-frnt/moog-wheel-bearing-hub-assembly-frnt/831183_0_22589
They are great w/ no play. BTW those dots on the rotor mount surface are little spots of grease. These ship w/ a firm plastic cover over that area so the dots stay just as in the picture.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do understand from experience that there are variations in hub quality but I don't know what FFR supplies. I got my FFR spindles from a guy w/o the hubs. I then bought these hubs from AZ.
http://www.autozone.com/suspension-steering-tire-and-wheel/wheel-bearing-hub-assembly-frnt/moog-wheel-bearing-hub-assembly-frnt/831183_0_22589
They are great w/ no play. BTW those dots on the rotor mount surface are little spots of grease. These ship w/ a firm plastic cover over that area so the dots stay just as in the picture.
Decided to go with the new FFR 2 piece spindles. :smile2: Now to source the ABS sensor brackets.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts