Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never used a hand riveter before, so me and my dad were playing around with one today (to give you an idea how much we suck with them, it took us 4hrs to figure out how to do 4rivets :eek: )

2 questions about them for anybody who uses them:

- is it normal to have to pump (i.e., open/close) the handle 2-3 times before the tail end of the rivet snaps off?

- is the tail end of the rivet supposed to snap off and remain locked in the riveter, such that in order to remove it you have to take off the first (long) nosel, take off the second nosel (the one where the gripping teeth are located in) and shake the tail-end of the rivet out, then re-assemble?? It just doesn't seem right to have to take apart the riveter to get the tail-end out every time you use it......

edit: Problem solved a few posts down below - turns out I had to oil (wd-40) the teeth in order to get the rivet to properly seat and release.

[ February 23, 2007, 02:03 AM: Message edited by: EFNFAST ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,378 Posts
yes

no. I have had very few get stuck (even in my 4.99 harbor freight special).

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,297 Posts
Yes pumping the handle will depend on the length of rivets as well. Make sure you are using the right "die: for the rivets you need. Some times you can insert another rivet and push the old shank out.

Mike O.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I did my whole car by hand and it is not a big deal. I have access to borrow any tool I need from work and did not bother to get a pnumatic riviter. Yes some of them take more than 1 pull, it depends on how long the rivit is. If you don't bend them they will fall out when you open the handles. After the holes are drilled you can do them in a few seconds each.
David W

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by David Williamson:
If you don't bend them they will fall out when you open the handles.
See, that's what I was thinking, but after they snap off the teeth have basically locked the tail-end of the rivet in place (and hence why I have to take it apart - to loosen the teeth so they let it go). Rivets are going in straight, so I'm not certain why the teeth keep clamped on them and arn't leeting them go :confused:

·
Senior Charter Member
212 Posts
Are you making sure that you have opened the handle as much as possible? Some riveters stop just short of "free" so that you can maneuver it tool into place while hoilding the rivet in place. After "popping" the rivet the intermediate position won't release the shank.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,085 Posts
I have jerk the handle open to get the nail to eject on my hand riveter.

Of course it doesn't help that I have twisted the handle into a pretzel trying to pull 3/16 steel rivets on a finished car with no working space.

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by tvolfan:
Are you making sure that you have opened the handle as much as possible? Some riveters stop just short of "free" so that you can maneuver it tool into place while hoilding the rivet in place. After "popping" the rivet the intermediate position won't release the shank.
Yep, here's the problem:

rivet goes in nicely

rivet 'pops' nicely

I open up the riveter's handles and the tail-end starts to slide out but stops - the black teeth in the 2nd nossel are holding it tight and refuse to let go. I took pliers and tried to yank it out with all my strength, but no go!

For some reason those black teeth that hold the rivet just arn't letting go when I open the handles - should I try spraying wd-40 on them perhaps to slacken the grip on them???

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I think you need a different riveter. I used a cheapo with no trouble and the nails(?) just fell out when I took the pressure off the handles.

·
Junior Charter Member
746 Posts
EFN, as much as David says he loves riviting (he drilled the first hole in my cobra) do yourself a favor and spend $69.00 for an air riviter at Princess Auto. 1/8" rivits are ok, but wait till the 3/16"! :mad: Then think about the 1000 + rivits to come. As for your question--- your riviter is junk, the spent stalks should fall out easily front or back.

Troy

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, I"ll probably go and pick up a new one tomorrow to try. Knowing my luck this one probably is junk :mad:

·
Slacker Extraordinaire
2,811 Posts
If you bend the riveter at all while squeezing the handle it bends the "Tail" and it gets stuck in the jaws. LOVE my pneumatic.

·
Senior Charter Member
6,104 Posts
I agree with HOzr you are probably bending the rivet. Try to keep it perfectly perpendicular.

I also agree with 7tvette, spend a few bucks on a pneumatic riveter. You can find them a lot cheaper than $69. I got mine from Eastwood. A lot of people have gotten them from Harbor Freight. There will be times after you have fit up a couple panels when you need to do over 100 rivets at once. Also, sometimes you will have to be pushing in real hard while riveting to get a panel to sit flat. It is a lot easier to do with an air riveter.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Wait... one more idea... make sure you are using the right sized "tip" for the rivet.... if the "tip" hole opening is too big.... you will have problems.

·
6,559 Posts
Get a pneumatic at Harbor Freight for $26.99. Mine is still working great.... for someone who borrowed it.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Two thoughts: carpal tunnel is not fun and activities like this gets you closer to chronic pain;
air riveters alledgedly do a better job of clamping materials together. Money well spent, I would think.

·
934 Posts
SR71 and Magnus are right on, had the same problem w/the 3/16 rivets, simply too large for the head of the pneumatic riveter, AND time time time

1 - 20 of 26 Posts