Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what the core modifications are to be able to use a Cobra for DE. My friend has a Mazda Miata Mk I and he had to make quite a few changes including lowering the seats for the broom tests, installing a roll cage (I am guessing the standard circle roll cage only works if there is no instructor in the car) and using arm restraints. I only had to install a fire extinguisher on my modern 911 (and that was just for 'fun').

Are FF Cobras mostly ready for DE as is (but for arm restraints) or do other safety equipment need to be installed.

·
Premium Member
17,763 Posts
I was wondering what the core modifications are to be able to use a Cobra for DE. My friend has a Mazda Miata Mk I and he had to make quite a few changes including lowering the seats for the broom tests, installing a roll cage (I am guessing the standard circle roll cage only works if there is no instructor in the car) and using arm restraints. I only had to install a fire extinguisher on my modern 911 (and that was just for 'fun').

Are FF Cobras mostly ready for DE as is (but for arm restraints) or do other safety equipment need to be installed.
Generally, you just have to make sure it has two roll bars. For a while - about 10 years ago - Factory Five had an option for a single full width roll bar. So every once in a while you'll see one, but they're rare. You can add a second roll bar to a finished car, but it's not easy. If you're buying a built car, look for one with two roll bars. You will not need a full roll cage.

Most FFR cars will pass the broomstick test. But that depends on the seats used, and the size of the driver.

Some organizations require a fire extinguisher, but that's no big deal to install.

Take a close look at the seat belts. Older cars had the shoulder belts in a "Y" configuration. You can't get those any more. If your organization requires non-expired seat belts, you'll need to replace those. Which means you'll have to cut two holes in the rear bulkhead, and create a second mounting point in the trunk. That's usually not an issue for DE though. But be sure to read the rules carefully.

Whether the rule require it or not, I highly recommend hand restraints and neck supports.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,151 Posts
I teach DE, and never recommend bringing one for a beginning student. Too hard a car to learn the basics in. Cannot hear the instructor, too much speed, I discourage. Get in enough sessions in another car to get a solo status, then try the Cobra. Most instructors will not go out in Cobras either.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My first DE, Gingerman in 2004, was in my Superformance car with a single bar. My primary instructor would have me ride with him or in lead-follow, he wouldn't ride in the Cobra. Later during the weekend another instructor did ride with me. I did get cleared for solo.

As Chepsk8 mentioned, and I'd agree, the Cobra isn't the best beginner's car. Loud and difficult to communicate, probably too much power, the single bar and difficulty to pass a broomstick test.

I later installed a tall, full width hoop. Even with that the Lotus guys wouldn't let me run at one of their events, the Porsche guys did.

Jim

·
Registered
808 Posts
My first DE, Gingerman in 2004, was in my Superformance car with a single bar. My primary instructor would have me ride with him or in lead-follow, he wouldn't ride in the Cobra. Later during the weekend another instructor did ride with me. I did get cleared for solo.

As Chepsk8 mentioned, and I'd agree, the Cobra isn't the best beginner's car. Loud and difficult to communicate, probably too much power, the single bar and difficulty to pass a broomstick test.

I later installed a tall, full width hoop. Even with that the Lotus guys wouldn't let me run at one of their events, the Porsche guys did.

Jim
Ha ha! Jim, it wasn't because of your roll bar! I have a 1990 Mustang with a roll bar that was my first DE car. Then along came the Cobra.
Still have the Mustang, it's my daily driver to the train station!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts