Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Taken The Leap
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
Can anyone give me the pro's & cons of using a 2003 Explorer 5.0 as an alternative to the Mustang 5.0. Im trying to use this engine with a refurnished T5 along with mustang donor parts and a Base Mk4 kit.
Any additional parts?
Can I use the F5R efi harness?
For rego emmissions require the engine to be 2001 or newer and I really want to use a small block but Im told the Mustang stopped being a 5.0 in the late 90's.
Thanks
Chris

·
section 8
5,135 Posts
No problems as far as I know except you need mustang or custom front dress and a distributor . That should be all oh yeah may want to use mustang ho or cobra cam . Sure there's more lets see who chimes in B ob

·
1,904 Posts
My intake + heads are from an explorer, you my want to consider beefier valve springs for revs and a peppier cam as the stock parts were for torque and lower rpms.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,175 Posts
Check out Breeze Automotive's site. I believe Mark has an Explorer engine install kit or parts kit that'll help.

Otherwise, it's a perfectly sound engine to use with a few minor tweaks/changes...

HTH...
Mark

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Hi Guys
Can anyone give me the pro's & cons of using a 2003 Explorer 5.0

For rego emmissions require the engine to be 2001 or newer and I really want to use a small block but Im told the Mustang stopped being a 5.0 in the late 90's.
Thanks
Chris
:confused1: I'm writing this afterwards as I now realize you are in Australia and Ford may have done it differently there. So what is below may not apply to your Ford Explorers.

Ford stopped production of the 5.0L for the Explorer and Mountaineer in 2001. 2002 and newer Explorers used a V-6 or the new SOHC 4.6, V-8.

I just completed a search for 2003 Explorer specs:
2003 Ford Explorer Specs Specifications
2003 Ford Explorer Technical Specifications - Consumer Guide Automotive

Here are the 2002 Explorer specs:
2002 Ford Explorer Technical Specifications - Consumer Guide Automotive

Here is the 2001 Explorer and the 5.0L (4.9) was only offered in the XLT AWD.
2001 Ford Explorer Specs and Features - MSN Autos

As mentioned by kiwiracer, the mid '97 to 2001 5.0L had the GT-40p heads which were the best flowing heads Ford made for that engine. It also had what is called the GT-40 intake manifold which is the same manifold that came on the '93 Mustang Cobra. This manifold is still sold by Ford Racing as an upgrade for the earlier 5.0L engines.

George

·
Premium Member
10,533 Posts
I'm very happy with mine.
Changed to carb, changed the front dress, installed a different cam and installed a distributor.
Still need to change the springs someday for higher revs.

It's a screamin' little engine.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I think a lot will depend on whether WA will allow you to make a cam change for emissions purposes. It's a truck engine with a low revving truck cam. They are great engines that need to be "awakened" with a new cam for use in a light car like an FFR. If you can't do a cam change, it will be a dog. This may help some: Explorer Intakes, FFR FAQ

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I'm very happy with mine.
Changed to carb, changed the front dress, installed a different cam and installed a distributor.
Still need to change the springs someday for higher revs.

It's a screamin' little engine.
I did the same as Doug and am very happy with it. I used a stock Mustang HO cam. It made 260 RWHP and 285 pounds of torque. It's very smooth around town, purrs on the interstate and is very quick when I step on it. It's a great motor. I can't think of any negatives.

Jeff

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
4,199 Posts
Here is the 2001 Explorer and the 5.0L (4.9) was only offered in the XLT AWD.
2001 Ford Explorer Specs and Features - MSN Autos

As mentioned by kiwiracer, the mid '97 to 2001 5.0L had the GT-40p heads which were the best flowing heads Ford made for that engine. It also had what is called the GT-40 intake manifold which is the same manifold that came on the '93 Mustang Cobra. This manifold is still sold by Ford Racing as an upgrade for the earlier 5.0L engines.

George
That's not entirely correct as I own a 2001 XLT 2WD with the 5.0

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
That's not entirely correct as I own a 2001 XLT 2WD with the 5.0
I continue to be surprised with finding differences in production specifications when doing searches online. There was a time I thought Ford ceased 5.0L production in the Explorer in 2000, (keeping it in the Mountaineer through 2001) and had read that somewhere, but I slowly began to hear others, on this forum, talk about their 2001 Explorer 5.0L engine. So together with today's search I have come to realize that it was produced in 2001. It was not easy to find and the only mention I could find today was of the XLT AWD with the 5.0L.

I learn something everyday here:001_smile:

George

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.