Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
consummate slacker
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: :confused: :confused: Can someone give me some info on fuel injectors. The way I see it, they are not much of a ware item, and should last the life of the car. But I still see them used on eBay for less than 1/4 of the original price from FMS. I want to upgrade from 19s to 30s, but I haven't even started and am over budjet. I need to buy some stuff used and thought this would be a good place to start. Any insight would be appreciated.

·
El Conquestador
1,089 Posts
I would like to know also. I am currently bidding on some used injectors on e-bay.

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
They do wear out. But the biggest problem with injectors is they get dirty and clogged. Most people sell used ones because they are upgrading to bigger, and don't know what else to do with the old ones.

Do a google search on injector sizing. I think a lot of people buy injectors that are way too big for their use.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,708 Posts
Generally speaking injectors get clogged by debris rather than worn out.So I'd say that is the only risk you are taking and at 75% off it's probably worth it.Good luck

·
Senior Charter Member
3,085 Posts
Age is a factor - old injectors sometimes just start leaking out of the seams (10 - 15 years).

Were they cleaned before storage? If not you should clean them when you get them.

If they came off an engine that sat a long time they can be very gummed up, I would avoid these.

Why do you need bigger injectors? If your engine is close to stock they are not needed (there are calcualtors that will help size them).

Remember bigger injectors will require a calibrated MAF or tune.

·
8,356 Posts
I would try and save on bling rather that on core fuel feed components. I've got my donor'19#'ers in a box that anyone can come and get for free.

And what Narve said about MAF calibration is also true, when going to bigger injectors...ask how I know.

·
Rookie
520 Posts
Check your Yellowpages.
You can get them rebuilt and tested locally for less than half the price of new.
On eBay, you can also get the rebuilt kits and do it yourself.
I wouldnt buy used ones unless you know they have been tested (Like from a rebuild shop)

For me, im going to run my 1988 injectors as is. If I have a problem, I'll choose one of the options I listed.

Cheers,
PSI

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Here is where you can get some bigger injectors right off factory cars:

Ford

1986-'95 Mustang with HO 302: orange-top, 19 lb./hr., EV-1 injectors
1988-'95 Ford Pickups with 460 and '93-'01 Lincoln: blue-top, 24 lb./hr., EV-1 injectors
1985-'88 Mustang and Thunderbird with 2.3-liter turbo: brown-top, 36 lb./hr., EV-1 injectors
1999-'04 Ford Lightning Trucks with 5.4-liter: green-top, 42 lb./hr., EV-1 injectors
2000-'02 Ford Contour with 2.5: pink, 21 lb./hr., EV-6 injectors
1999-'02 SVT with 4.6 liter DOHC and '00-'02 Lincoln Navigator: blue, 24 lb./hr., EV-6 injectors

Steve

[ February 16, 2007, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: Porxter ]

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Here is some more info on the recommended max horsepower capability of each injector size:

INJECTOR SIZE___NATURALLY ASPIRATED_____ROOTS SUPERCHARGED
19 LB/HR________275 HP @ 90% Duty Cycle___210 HP @ 90% Duty Cycle
24 LB/HR________350 HP @ 90% Duty Cycle___265 HP @ 90% Duty Cycle
30 LB/HR________425 HP @ 90% Duty Cycle___330 HP @ 90% Duty Cycle
36 LB/HR________520 HP @ 90% Duty Cycle___400 HP @ 90% Duty Cycle
42 LB/HR________600 HP @ 90% Duty Cycle___465 HP @ 90% Duty Cycle
50 LB/HR________720 HP @ 90% Duty Cycle___550 HP @ 90% Duty Cycle

Steve
http://home.thegrid.net/~ffr4776

·
consummate slacker
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Porxter,
I read that stuff in a previous post, which is why I want to upgrade. I've also read that bigger injectors don't effect drivability until 38lb+, so I wanted to get as big as possible for future upgrades. What's the diff between EV-1 and EV-6? are they all interchangeable?

·
Slowest Builder in NY
455 Posts
I hope there's no stigma with pre-owned injectors, because I've upgraded to 55#s and have my 36#s to sell soon.

I know of other people who have bought used injectors without complaints. There can always be that bad set though - you never know.

Art..............

·
Senior Charter Member
3,085 Posts
EV-1 to EV-6 there is at least a connector difference. Not sure, I think they are same impedance.

Bigger injectors mostly have issues at cranking and idle. Crank pulse width is set in the computer and does not adapt. Battery voltage offsets are different so as voltage changes the EEC struggles more to keep fueling in line.

Buying items from fellow board members is typically a good experience, so don't worry Art. Why weren't you selling 42's when I wanted them?

·
Slowest Builder in NY
455 Posts
This is my third injector upgrade for my 5.0L V8, so I've become a firm believer that as you get bigger with injectors there is more of a need to control them with a custom chip or programmable computer. In this way the undesirable symptoms Narve speaks of are virtually eliminated.

After I upgraded to the 36#s as part of a set of engine upgrades I had symptoms of bucking and rich mixes. Thinking a bad injector was at least part of the problem, I had them cleaned and checked. After spending the money, I was told they were fine.

With a custom chip even my 55#s run like stock.

Art................

·
Rookie
520 Posts
Here is some more info for you,

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fuel-Injector-Service-Kit-Caps-O-Rings-Filters-8-CYL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33553QQihZ009QQitemZ190083495557QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW" target="_blank">
Parts

</a> Rebuilding

Cheers,
PSI

______ ___ __ _

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Some more info. I didn't write it, just passing it along:

There are several different original-equipment injector suppliers out there, and some are used by more than one manufacturer. Bosch is certainly the leader in the injector field; developing both the most often used top-feed injectors for Ford and many other manufacturers. The most popular type for many years was the Bosch II injector, also known as the EV-1. This was a pintle-type injector, with a large body, and can be identified by its rectangular 2-pin wiring connector. Ford, GM, Mercedes, Saab, Chrysler, and many other foreign car builders used EV-1 injectors until the late 1990s. GM's Rochester units are similar in function and design to the Bosch EV-1 injectors, and share the same type of electrical connector.

Another injector type being used is the Bosch III, referred to as an EV-6 injector. These began showing up in late-model Fords like the '03 and newer Cobra and the '05 and newer Mustang GT. Many of the EV-6 injectors have the same electrical harness connector as the EV-1 style; however, some of the EV-6 injectors use an "oval" electrical connector with smaller pins. This prevents you from swapping between injectors unless you purchase separate wiring harness adapters. (Ford Racing has these.)

There is nothing wrong with using used injectors, providing you replace the o-ring seals before installing them. Use the same type of o-ring as the car came with. Some are black neoprene and some are brownish-red and some are blue neoprene. The injectors will not seal properly if they are not the same color and style. Also, when rescuing a set of injectors from the salvage yard or swap meet, make sure the retainer clips come with the units. The numerous types of OEM injectors are not identical in "working height" and can vary as much as 5mm.

In order for the injectors to seal properly in the fuel rail, you will need to use the same type of clip they came with originally. Many pick-a-part suppliers will usually just sell you the full fuel rails to save their time. You will also need to recalibrate your mass airflow sensor or take one from the donor car.

Steve

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have a holley Pro-jection witht he old style injectors (No longer available) I had mine tested and sonic cleaned to remove buildup, one was still flowing less than the rest. Had to pick up a couple spares and have them tested as well. They are supposed to flow within 5% of each other to be within specs.

There are also shops that sell used injectors that have already been tested and flowed. My first choice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts