Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
7,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else run into this problem? I am pretty sure on the last 2 coupes I built this mount was much closer to the body than this one is. Its about 1.5 inches away and also welded very crooked. Really dont think I should be sucking the body down that far. I guess I will need to see how the windshiled fits before I tackle this problem. BTW the body is all the way down on the door sills, so thats not an issue.
Mike

·
Charter Member
2,612 Posts
Mike,
Is the front of the body all the way down and seated good? The A pillar frame and crossbar fit very snug into the body across the top of the windshield. I have an old grey body(car, not personal).

Rob

·
Senior Charter Member
2,969 Posts
Hi Mike

I had to make one of these...

It may never matter but I made it so that I would be able to undo the body from the frame without having to remove the windshield. Others have done the same or similar.

Marc

·
Charter Member
2,612 Posts
Mike,
I went over and shot mine, as I said, it's a grey bodied coupe.

Rob

·
Registered
918 Posts
body mount

I have a black body #328 and the pad was a lot closer to the body than that. Maybe 1/2 inch tops. The body may not be down on the sills all the way or the roof may be warped somewhat. If you pull the body down will it follow the windshield contour or is there s dip in that spot?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I had about a 3/4" gap on mine, plus it was behind the windshield lip. Yours looks to stick out past the lip. I used two short pieces of 1/2" dia. pvc pipe with 1-1/4" long button head tek screws.

·
Peckin' away at it
1,047 Posts
Black body 341, about 3/8, made a plastic spacer and long rivets

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have a black body, and mine was almost 2" out. Had to insert a sizable spacer. The body won't go any lower as it is resting firmly on the door sills. Also, the cut-outs for the door hinges lined up relatively well, so I figured it must be problem with the frame mount, not the body. I couldn't cinch it down too much, as that would then prevent the windshield from fitting in.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mike, mine looks the same way. I was planning on using a spacer to prevent warping the windshield frame. I have the black fiberglass body style.

My body is sitting on the sills also and the rear window frame is as far down as it will go on to the chassis. Most everything fits well except for the windshield upper frame.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Mine was the same, but I found that the roll bar on the drivers side was too high and prevented the body from sitting down. I had to cut the front to rear roll bar piece on the drivers side and use a chain pull to bend the roll bar down. Once I did that the spacer got closer. I decided to make my own mount that had an integral mount for a rear view mirror. I cut out the old one and welded on a new one.

·
7,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad Im not alone on this. My body is sitting on the door sills and the nose to body seam looks good. I am sure the body si where its supposed to be. On another note, I had almost no door issues. I rand out of slot length on the driver side so I just put spacers behind the hinge mount to make up the difference.
Mike

·
Junior Charter Member
425 Posts
I'm getting close to body mounting, and I couldn't even find any info in the manual about this top mount. Did i miss it??? What are people using for the mounts, counter sunk bolts???

JC

·
Peckin' away at it
1,047 Posts
Manual sucks for this
I got help from Mark Dougherty. Mine was close and I used 3/16 rivets. The forward trunk lip gets some also.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I ran into the same problem. People kept telling me my body wasn't all the way down, even though it was. People kept telling me "that's normal" even though it isn't. Mine was off my nearly 2 inches. I could actually fit my fist between them. I wasn't going to make a 2 inch spacer.

I cut my rollbar in the center, bent it up, added a small amount of material to maintain the spacing, and welded it all back together. The weld is stronger than the original material, and now my rollbar fits. Additionally, it raises my rear view mirror (a good thing) and now the rollbar doesn't hang down into my line of sight anymore, either.

Now i have a 1/8" gap.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I'm guessing I had about 3/4" gap. Used rivnuts, counter sunk screws and a couple pieces of 3/8" plastic glued together. While it looks like you could see this through the windshield the black boarder on the glass hides it.

·
2,933 Posts
Hi guys
the coupe frame the mounts you are showing were not consistant at all.
Most have had to have a spacer or be cut off and a new bracket made.
It is good we have this forum to to bounce ideas off. this way people know they are not alone.

Later
Mark D

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
It is good we have this forum to to bounce ideas off. this way people know they are not alone.
Without this forum I would not be building my Coupe!!

John

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.