Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ANyone running a FFR radiator with the angled input into the engine compartment with a Fortes Degas tank that exits on the outside of the F panel? If so what hose are you using?

I tried the hose that came with my Mk3 kit with the shaped bends, and its fits fairly weel but it is compressed in areas to fit the bends.

I know htere is the flexible corrogated tube but is there another hose people been using?

Thanks,

Squid

·
Junior Charter Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody???

Is anyone running the FFR and a Fortes De-gas tank that exits out the side of the F-panel? If so what did you use for the upper radiator line...did you go with the corrogated stainless steel?>>>

I can't be the first...and if I am am does anyone see areason why this won't work???

Thanks..

Squid

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
My MKIII (3.1) came with the stainless hose. I didn't know FFR actually supplied a shaped rubber one in the past.
I know earlier model roadsters used to come with a section of aluminum tubing to use where it passed through the F panel. Maybe you need to add this? Perhaps your supposed to cut the rubber hose in half, to use on either side of the tube, to stop the bends from compressing? Makes the bends a little smoother in transition?

·
Junior Charter Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tubing

Bill,

I agree with what your saying, and in fact I did get the rubber tube and the miscellaneous lengths of pipe...and that would work great if the FFR radiator inlet was not angled into the engine bay...that is where my problem lies......It was my fault that I didn't check my donor radiator earlier to see if it would fit..and it didnt't which sent me down the route of the FFR radiator...

I guess I'll be searching on the corrugted radior hose postings, as I know many have had issues with using the corrugated hose... Anybody have suggestions or recommendations on what to do..or more importantly what not to do??? I know I will need some very tight radius to clear both the x frame and other frame members....

Sorry for the rambling ...but again one step forward and two steps back!!

Squid

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,560 Posts
You could sell the radiator and get the one from Summit that exits outside the engine bay. Then your degas will work as intended. You could have the outlet of the radiator moved to the side as well, or the outlet on the degas tank moved to the front instead of out the side. Lots of options, I dont think you can "get there from here" with the corrugated stuff without it making lots of complicated bends. Its hard enough to get all the air out of the system without any convoluted routing. You could just scrap the degas tank and get an inline filler and run donor hoses. Of course there is also the FE expansion tank, a little more work but great results, very vintage looking.

Mike

·
Junior Charter Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Next Step?

Thanks for the input Mike,

A new tank is probably the way to go as I was using the tank to try and solve the air bubble issues.... Anybody have a straight through de-gas tank they are no longer using?....Anybody need a 90 degree degas tank with a temperature bung installed on the bottom?

The rubber hose I have is close to fitting (can supply photos later), but I have never used the corrugated tubing to understand how it would run or how tight the bends would be....it appears I could get away with three 90 degree bends to get back to the tank, but as you stated, this is not optimum for flow....

Is anyone else using this setup??? Are you having problems....

Thanks guys foryour inpu...

Squid

·
FFCobra Captain
11,721 Posts
You can't really make very tight bends with the corrugated hose. A pre-formed rubber hose will be much tighter. You're best bet is to install everything and then use a wire hanger and bend it to the shape hose you need. Then take that to the auto parts store and see if you can find something that will work.

If not, then just look for 2 pieces of hose that will work and join them together using the aluminum tube that FFR provided. Since that doesn't have a bead on it, you can make a bead tool (do a search here for details) or just install some rivets on the end of the tube so the clamps have something to grab.

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
I tried the hose that came with my Mk3 kit with the shaped bends, and its fits fairly well but it is compressed in areas to fit the bends.
So just how badly compressed is it in the bends?? You can buy a purpose made spring, that inserts into a rad hose, that's designed especially to prevent the hose from collapsing to much.
That simple spring may allow you to use all of what you currently have set up, at a minimum of cost, and fooling around. Be worth a shot initially, vs the more complicated/expensive alternatives.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.