Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a MKIII with the older version front UCA's that are known to not take grease all that well. Noticed a slight noise lately when I leaned on the fender, so am thinking I have a dry bushing. My thought is to pull them apart and clean and maybe cut some additional grease channels in the cross shafts. Just wondering what the newer versions look like. Do they have channels in the shafts or the bushings? If in the shafts if somebody might have a pic or a good description of what they look like.
TIA Dave

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,560 Posts
If you have the "original" SPC UCA's, they are different than the new ones. New ones have a delrin bushing and are also shorter in length. Plus, they will need new arms, etc. in order to work correctly because of the shortened shaft. Best would be to buy new ones complete if needed. No, you can't order new parts for the old style, they're not made anymore.

My suggestion is to take the old one apart and make sure it's not galled to the point of replacement, clean it up, open up your grease hole (sounds bad) and put it back together and run it. I've done mine once in 18yrs and no issues. Next thing is to remember to grease them often enough so you see the grease extrude from the joint.

Now, if you already have the delrin style bushings, you can disregard most of my post. Those you can get parts for.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,115 Posts
I agree, if yours will still move, you may be able to salvage them. OTOH, you may be able to buy just new cross shafts and pivots if they will fit the rest of your UCA. I did that and it worked fine. I bought the 5" cross shaft and 92025 pivots. They have grooves in the ID of the dlerin and it is really nice to see 6 little squirts of grease come out of each side of the pivot. There have been several permutations of arms used by FFR so I can't be sure all will fit but one key is the thread diameter of the sleeves. These parts are all 3/4x16.
Go here;
https://www.spcalignment.com/images/stories/catalogs/SPC_Cat_2018-web.pdf
to page 150. Once you have the numbers, I usually order through Summit. Depending how many parts you need it is sometimes less expensive to buy a complete arm.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so I pulled the the cross shafts and pivots off. They were not the source of the noise. Cleaned them up, ground some small channels into the shafts with the Dremel and now grease comes out both ends of the pivits. I could see a very slight ware pattern on parts of the shafts which I think had allowed some grease to get in so they were all moving freely. I'm still not positive where the noise was coming from but think it might be the LCA's. The bushings look like they had allowed the arm to move forward slightly from where it should sit. This was allowing the front bottom corner under the bushing to come in contact with the front most bracket weld on both sides. Took the lowers off and ordered some new bushings, we'll see how it sits when its back together. As long as everything is apart it'll be a good time to clean and relube wheel bearings and the shock pivits.
Hopefully the parts won't take to long getting here as some of the years best driving weather is here. Love the fall in New England.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John, might be a good idea but I'm still running with the original Fox LCA's. Never saw the need to spend the $ on replacement as these have worked perfectly up till now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts