Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm starting to mock up my front end. The book wants me to mount the upper control arms to the top of the mounting brackets. I've also found on this and the other forum that they're supposed to be mounted vertically on the mounting bracket. There are holes for both mounting locations. n

When I mount the arm to the top of the bracket the geometry seems off when I finally get to mounting the spindles. However when I look at mounting the arms vertically there doesn't seem like there is any way to get nut on the rear bolt.

I'm using FFR lowers and spindles.

What am I missing?

Adam

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,991 Posts
The FFR spindles, or SN95 spindles w/ the SAI mod, should have the UCA mounted on the vertical surface. Fox spindles are taller and require the UCA be mounted on the horizontal surface.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The FFR spindles, or SN95 spindles w/ the SAI mod, should have the UCA mounted on the vertical surface. Fox spindles are taller and require the UCA be mounted on the horizontal surface.
FFR spindles. I think that vertical is the correct mounting location so I'm with you there. The rear bolt is going to be a problem. I don't know how i'm going to fit a nut in there.

I'll post a picture in a bit.

Adam

·
Not a waxer
12,098 Posts
FFR supplies flanged bolts and nuts for the forward mounting hole and non-flanged for the rear. They used to supply flanged for both until some builders became befuddled by the concept of having to grind a flat on the flanged head to allow clearance:001_rolleyes:

Yes, vertical mount is the proper position when using FFR spindles.

Jeff

·
Junior Charter Member
2,916 Posts
Pardon me for saying... But if you look at you nuts......

You will find that there are two that don't have the flanges. I believe that they are silver. They are for the rear. Black flanged ones in the front. There will be four of those, but of course you only need two.

I went through this recently. The base kit manual is not clear on what to do with the FFR spindles.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pardon me for saying... But if you look at you nuts......

You will find that there are two that don't have the flanges. I believe that they are silver. They are for the rear. Black flanged ones in the front. There will be four of those, but of course you only need two.

I went through this recently. The base kit manual is not clear on what to do with the FFR spindles.
I bought my kit used, so not all of the packaging was as shipped from the factory. The uppers were actually half mounted on the frame which is why I was a bit confused. It still seems tight.

FFR supplies flanged bolts and nuts for the forward mounting hole and non-flanged for the rear. They used to supply flanged for both until some builders became befuddled by the concept of having to grind a flat on the flanged head to allow clearance:001_rolleyes:

Yes, vertical mount is the proper position when using FFR spindles.

Jeff
I'd actually prefer to grind down the flange. Even with out a flanged nut it looks tight. I will get a nut that isn't flanged to test fit it and then grind down the flanged nut for final assemble, assuming everything fits.

Thanks guys.
Adam

·
Mark 3.1 (Sold)
894 Posts
TFK,
You haven't said what vintage kit you are building. If it is a Mk 4, the SAI mod is incorporated in the spindles and the previous comments re mounting to the outer vertical mount points is correct. For MK 3.1 or older F5 spindles without SAI, the inner mount points are correct.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TFK,
You haven't said what vintage kit you are building. If it is a Mk 4, the SAI mod is incorporated in the spindles and the previous comments re mounting to the outer vertical mount points is correct. For MK 3.1 or older F5 spindles without SAI, the inner mount points are correct.
It's MK4. I'm sure Jeff is right, I just need to find a nut that will fit on to that bolt that isn't flanged and test fit it. One of the nuts from the coil overs will work I bet. It looked really right though. I'll probably find it will work. I was dumb to test fit the front end last before I wrapped up for the day. I spent most of my time on aluminum and thought oh gee lets see how the the front suspension looks. SMH

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
They used to supply flanged for both until some builders became befuddled by the concept of having to grind a flat on the flanged head to allow clearance:001_rolleyes:

Jeff

X2 On what Jeff said. When I got my kit they were all flanged. So out with the grinder took a little bit off of two flanged nuts and slide them in. All worked out good.

Ed.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
X2 On what Jeff said. When I got my kit they were all flanged. So out with the grinder took a little bit off of two flanged nuts and slide them in. All worked out good.

Ed.
Yep, all is well. That's what I get for eye balling things instead of testing first. :)

More sheet metal today. I'm starting to think I should have bought more drill bits. :mad:

·
Registered
789 Posts
Yep, all is well. That's what I get for eye balling things instead of testing first. :)

More sheet metal today. I'm starting to think I should have bought more drill bits. :mad:
I had very good luck using a right angle drill and dewalt bits from Lowes. The gold colored ones. I only went through about 8 bits.

·
Registered
595 Posts

They make stick wax for cutting and drilling, but you can get a similar result with a small candle, keep it nearby, and every 3 or 4 holes, touch the end of the drill bit (it'll be nice and hot) to the candle, this will make any drill bit last longer.

Of course, don't light the candle - - just sayin' :evil:

HTH,

Derrick

·
Not a waxer
12,098 Posts
...dewalt bits from Lowes. The gold colored ones.
Forget about all the flashy coatings, cobalt and other high priced stuff---plain ol' black oxide will cut faster and longer than any of 'em. As long as you don't break them you can drill every rivet hole with no more than 3 #30 bits ;)

Jeff

·
Junior Charter Member
2,916 Posts
My first bit lasted for a long time. I drilled tons, probably half of the panels with it. The other half took the other 5 or 6.

It doesn' matter what kind they are. You overheat them and they are done.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.