Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are going to change the forum software to a better, faster, and more robust software made by vBulletin. This will happen very soon. I will let you know exactly when we plan to start the process, but it might happen this week.

What do you need to do?

1.) Please click on "my profile" and then look at "edit profile" and make sure your email address is still valid. If it is not, change it now.

2.) Write down your "LOG IN ID". This is at the top of the Edit Profile page. This may not be your screen name. It's the name you used to sign up for FFCars.com.

3.) Write down your password. If you don't know your password you can click here to retrieve it.

The new software will use your current log in ID and password. Since you have never logged on to the new software, you'll have to log in the first time so the software will remember you. Be sure to check the box marked "remember me" so you don't have to log in each time you visit.

THE PROBLEMS WE EXPECT

</font>
  • It will take anywhere from 24 to 48 hours to load old forum topics to the new software. During that time, we can't open the forums. We are going to set up a temporary forum on FordGroups.com for Roadsters, Coupe, GTMs, Off Topic, and SUPPORT FOR logging into the new site.</font>
  • If you don't know your LOG IN ID and PASSWORD, it's going to be a problem for us. We could get hit with hundreds of emails per day from members needing help, so please be patient if we don't replay right away.</font>
  • We may lose some UBB features, but we gain so much more with the new software that it will be worth the headaches.</font>
  • Many, many more issues that we won't know until we dive in and do it.</font>
Thanks for your patience.

Bill

·
Administrator
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Since it will take a few days to get the new software up and running, we need to find a way to speed this site up. I feel like we're running a 4 cylinder car in a V8 race!

I have turned on the Forum Category page to help speed up the site. When you enter FFCars you will see the CATIGORIES for the site. Then just click on the area you want to see.

I also turned off the search engine for a few minutes. I want to see if the site gets faster. I'll turn it on shortly.

Bill

·
Still broke & dreaming...
2,205 Posts
Just thinking out load...Will this also affect avatars and "signatures"?

·
master craftsman
5,597 Posts
"Down 24 to 48 hours" Say it aint so!!!!!!!!!!!,,everone might finish their cars then!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Bill,

Will we lose our stored PMs?

Good luck with the transition, I am sure it won't be easy but it will be worth it in the long-run.

-Jon

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
I'm all for speeding things up.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

John

·
15,282 Posts
FYI to other members... I just requested a "password reminder" e-mail from the system. (Dangers of automatic login...) It took about 30-45 minutes for that e-mail to come through. If you aren't sure of your login, request that info early before the system goes down and it's a headache for Bill and the others later!

Cheers, John

·
Charter Member
7,902 Posts
Whoohoo - vBulletin I think will be a big improvement. Couple of questions that aren't really that important...
Will we lose our member numbers?
I'm guessing post counts go back to zero as well?
How about PMs - are they saved?
What about old threads and search functions - are we starting from scratch, or will we be able to access all the info that is currently on this site?

Thanks for all your hard work Bill!

Howard

·
Administrator
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What we will lose with vBulletin?

Nothing. We should be gaining picture uploading, faster searches, and it will be easier on the server.

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Bill,
Thank you very much for continued support for this very valuable asset!

Erik

·
Charter Member
1,611 Posts
Is this going to mean links in even this years posts will be broken?

Losing all the links to the archive posts was such a loss of information, I hope the same doesn't happen with all the legacy posts.

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
Originally posted by George H:

Losing all the links to the archive posts was such a loss of information, I hope the same doesn't happen with all the legacy posts.
I would agree with this. I hate when I find the perfect post with a link and the link is broken. I would think you could run a routine against the forum after you've moved it to an archive to update the URLs. If you like, I can have our Database guy at work take a look at doing so.

Will the search feature be coming back prior to the move? I've got a 4 day weekend coming up and it would be great to get some work done.

Thanks Bill.

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
I run a small local gear-heads forum and it's currently on PHPbb.. I DEARLY wish I could convert to something where I could control the spammers better.. Right now I have over 400 users (of which only 24 are real members)...

I've essentially closed off membership to everyone until I validate them.. That means I have to manually review a couple of dozen spammer applications a day.. At least this way I don't end up with a bunch of p0rn and erct!le dysfunct!0n drug posts every day...

Is there any hope??? (((sigh)))

Thanks Bill - I really appreciate what you're doing and all the Mods too!!!

·
Administrator
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

We lose links every 6 months when the site gets too big and we have to move topics into the archives. So it's really the same thing.

The difference is the new software will have all of the old topics so users could use the search engine to find anything. And we will probably leave the old forum up, but turn it off. The links should be OK.

·
Administrator
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by BigRedRPB:
[qb]
Will the search feature be coming back prior to the move? I've got a 4 day weekend coming up and it would be great to get some work done.

Thanks Bill.
We're doing the move tonight and testing it Tuesday. It might take a few days, but it might be back on in 24 hours. Who knows? This is all new to us.

Bill

1 - 16 of 16 Posts