Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
We know what you're up to
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after hearing about the corrugated ss hose flexing and cracking on people, I decided to upgrade mine. Picked this shinny piece up at Lowes for $10 :) What do you guys think? Better?

·
TC COBRA
521 Posts
Wow, looks great! Where in lowes did you find this, plumbming I assume? I hadn't heard about the corrugated ss hose cracking on people??

·
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Plodding Along
2,976 Posts
Does it have a bead on both ends so the hose does not come off?
If not, just use one of the bead pliers that is going around. Here's a picture of mine; it recently made the rounds of the eastern US.

·
8,381 Posts
Update: Also, its likely that the item is "seamed", and the joint efficiency may be very low, due to intended use.

Any concerns about the temperature/pressure rating of a component made as cheaply as possible to withstand zero pressure, when it may be subjected to ~16lbs at 190 or so degrees. Its just a matter of cycles before it ruptures, IMO. Aren't there similar things made just for this purpose, i.e. from Summit?

·
Registered
788 Posts
With a beautiful engine bay like you have, I wouldnt trust a sink drain made in China to keep that beast cool. Personally, I think a Forte degas tank on the F panel would be the way to go.

·
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
22 gauge tubing only has a wall thickness of .028". Kinda thin in my book.
Bob
Just for kicks and giggles, have you guys measured the thickness of the stuff FFR sends out, the ss corrugated tubing? It is just as thin, but it also flexs a ton too. I figured being a fixed tube it would at least not flex. Maybe I'll look for a thicker one. I saw a 16ga version at Marshall's Industrial, but it was only 14.5" long.

Thanks for the replys, this is stuff I wanted to hear.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Also remember its brass, so it could be about half the yield strength of stainless...

But, for a 1.5 inch thin walled tube with 16 psi, there is only ~475 psi hoop and 237 psi longitudinal stress, so it should be fine, even if the material is crap. Brass can have a yield as low as 15,000 psi and if it was pure copper (very soft) its yield is around 4800 psi.

If your worried about it, just buy another and keep it in the trunk!

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
I just stuck with a black upper hose and it looks good to me... I fought the bling factor and think it looks decent. I still have the FFR supplied lower though. Can't find a suitable hose for that besides the crinkle hose.

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
I hadn't heard about the corrugated ss hose cracking on people??
Me neither..For the number of builders using them, I think that is more a rarity, rather than a common place problem.

I had a pipe like that in a kitchen, but it was chrome plated "copper", not brass. (You sure that's brass?). It lasted for 15 years, even with boiling water, caustic soaps, cleaners etc., being run through it regularly. I admit it was not under any kind of pressure though.

I do wonder about galvanic corrosion (electrolysis) in the long run..?

·
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Chris
Yeah, wish I was a mech. engineer. I think it is plenty strong considering how much I had to beat that vertical flange flat on the end of the tube. (poor man's barb)

@Darren
What can I say, I get easily distracted by shiny objects.:001_tongue: I also did not like the fact that the corrugated stuff is about 1.75"OD and it was not easy to find a good coupler to the CSR T-filler that has a end of 1.25"OD. so it was not all bling factor...just mostly.

@mg2
Yeah. That is also what allows it to flex.

@Howff
Love his stuff, but $$$.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.