Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all,
I'm new here and have been researching/studying the GTM since catching a glimpse of kbentzel's GTM during Two Guys Garage and the E-rod install on Horsepower. I plan to order my GTM late summer in hopes I will have it on the road by next summer. I have searched the forum and can't find any threads on what has changed(fixed/improved) since early GTMs. I've read, during threads of other topics where someone would mention the FFR has fixed "that" on the later GTM. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
A few things I can remember off the top of my head are:

- improved rear window glass fitment. Apparently it used to be pretty bad and had a big 'bubble' to it, now its not so bad

- door bump stops to prevent the door opening too far

- added a closeout aluminum panel for the front wheel well (at least it's not mentioned in an older manual I have, but it is mentioned in the latest manual)

- changed console and engine cover from carbon fiber to vinyl

- front suspension arm mounts were adjusted to allow for better alignment

That's all I got right now

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thank you. Has there been an update to the rear wheel wells? I continue to study the GTM manual (electronic version) and am making notes for inserts to make the build as systematic as possible.

·
Registered
16,313 Posts
Seats have been changed.

Shocks have been changed.

Rear shock mounts supposedly have been changed, but I hear it's along the lines of the rear window change......not much.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It would be a great day if Factory Five reinforced all of the Fiberglass so the buyer would not have to, made everything fit and finish, so it needed no "extra adjusting/modification" and fixed all of the problems the various builders have placed on the forums, but even if they do not, it will not deter me from building and having one, as they are amazing cars to behold. It will just cost more. But being able to dust the guy in the Ferrari or other high end car without much effort and getting to see the look on his face as you laugh at him and drive on... Priceless :evil:
-Chance

·
Senior Charter Member
1,594 Posts
A few things I can remember off the top of my head are:

- improved rear window glass fitment. Apparently it used to be pretty bad and had a big 'bubble' to it, now its not so bad

- door bump stops to prevent the door opening too far

- added a closeout aluminum panel for the front wheel well (at least it's not mentioned in an older manual I have, but it is mentioned in the latest manual)

- changed console and engine cover from carbon fiber to vinyl

- front suspension arm mounts were adjusted to allow for better alignment

That's all I got right now
I have to have just about every corner of the body re-worked (at great expense) before it can even be prepped for paint. Quoted $14,000.00...

I bought door stops from David Borden, to keep my doors from opening to far and cracking the paint and fiberglass. ? $100.00 ?

I had to buy a set of closeout panels from Richard Oben; (thank you Richard). $100.00

I bought a set of Aluminum Gas tanks that I won't have to worry as much about gas leaks and fumes in the engine bay. $1350.00

So you're saying that Factory Five has changed the front control arm mounts, and you were able to align the car to the specs called for by FFR? I am currently looking into having control arms made that allow me to align the car correctly. $600.00 to $1000.00

These items barely even scratch the surface of what I've spent above the price of the kit and donor parts.

I love this car. I truly do. But it is frustrating to spend so much on items that we really shouldn't have to.

Fortunately, if I ever decide to build another, (you never know), at least it'll be a bit less complicated and a little less expensive. I'll have an MK-IV, a Type 65 Coupe, and a 33 Hot Rod in my future first, however. If I can find a Spyder, there may be one of those as well.

So we'll just have to see...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Don't forget the rear quarter windows are now glass. I bought these and they look and fit much better than the plastic ones.

Rich

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gen2

Thanks All for the input. From the photos and the read looks like the gen 2 has the changes I was hoping for (I was going to build either way). May be it can be a 40-45K build.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Thanks for the pic. Any more? I do like the removal of the wiper hump. Is the hump necessary on Gen1 gtms or is it a carryover from the protos? If it is necessary, does the Gen 2 have a different wiper setup? I like Shane's louver vents much better than the new vents. I'm not feeling the canards much either. I wonder if they are functional.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the pic. Any more? I do like the removal of the wiper hump. Is the hump necessary on Gen1 gtms or is it a carryover from the protos? If it is necessary, does the Gen 2 have a different wiper setup? I like Shane's louver vents much better than the new vents. I'm not feeling the canards much either. I wonder if they are functional.
Here's the FFR link
http://www.factoryfive.com/gtm/updates/gentwo.html

·
craftsman
1,927 Posts
vd2021,
Thanks for posting the link of all the changes. It is good that they are really taking a second look at the overall pros and cons of the kit (gen II). Looking at the pictures and ," GEE. I've seen a lot of these designs and ideas before." I'm glad to see them applied, I see only the comments from FFR, " we did this and we did that." Not giving the hard working customers, loyal builders, and racers, credit where credit is due.

RM
PDG- Proud ambassador to:
Mendeola Transaxles
Tel Tac
RM Contractor and Racing
Superior Sprinklers ( Lawson Bros.)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mendeola Transaxle

RM,

I see in your signature "Mendeola Transaxles" Which brings the question; Is it or when will it be ready? After going for a ride with Kbentzel last week and getting the info on his transaxle journey, I really believe the mendeola transaxle will play a role in my kit order date. I would like to order it with the gen2 kit or know with out a doubt that it will be available for my build. From my short time on the forum I have gathered that body fit and finish and the transaxle can become budget busters when you're trying to keep cost to a minimum and still turn out a car that you will be proud of. If the gen2 and the new transaxle live up to the preview the guys like me will be very happy customers. Just my two cents.

·
craftsman
1,927 Posts

It has been said many times, if you are going to put around and do car shows and cruises with less than 450 HP, then the g50 is for you. If you are going to drive the car as it is intended and put some ponies in it, then the Mendy box is the right choice. Mendeola has already sold boxes to the GTM community of builders. As the exclusive test mule for the transaxle, we are still refining the perfect gear ratios for the GTM and other mid engine applications. The race tests have proven that it is the box to be reckoned with and abused with no high repair costs where you can shift "with authority" and not baby it.

A brief summary: rebuilt/beefed up g50, clutch, adapter kit,starter, pressure plate....11.600.00 (always the thought of failing) 1 rebuild..(3rd gear out..5,500.00)

NEW Mendy 5 speed syncro box, clutch, starter, frame work..11,700.00
(never the thought of failing)

Everyone draws their own opinion on this subject and more times than not, a budget does play a part in selection. Penciling it out, the Mendeola is the better buy in/ purchase where you do get more bang for your buck.

HTH,
RM

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

It has been said many times, if you are going to put around and do car shows and cruises with less than 450 HP, then the g50 is for you. If you are going to drive the car as it is intended and put some ponies in it, then the Mendy box is the right choice. Mendeola has already sold boxes to the GTM community of builders. As the exclusive test mule for the transaxle, we are still refining the perfect gear ratios for the GTM and other mid engine applications. The race tests have proven that it is the box to be reckoned with and abused with no high repair costs where you can shift "with authority" and not baby it.

A brief summary: rebuilt/beefed up g50, clutch, adapter kit,starter, pressure plate....11.600.00 (always the thought of failing) 1 rebuild..(3rd gear out..5,500.00)

NEW Mendy 5 speed syncro box, clutch, starter, frame work..11,700.00
(never the thought of failing)

Everyone draws their own opinion on this subject and more times than not, a budget does play a part in selection. Penciling it out, the Mendeola is the better buy in/ purchase where you do get more bang for your buck.

HTH,
RM
Solid Copy. I do not plan to race and I am planning for an LS6 so i fit the lower HP of people. However I Do want a reliable GTM.

So if I wanted a mendeola I could order one today? I'm new so forgive me in advance. Thanks

1 - 20 of 44 Posts