Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO HERES'S THE UPDATE:

I CALLED FINISH LINE THIS MORNING AND EXPLAINED THE PROBLEM. THEY WERE VERY GRACIOUS, APOLOGIZED FOR THE PROBLEM, AND THEN VOLUNTEERED THEY JUST RECEIVED A NEW SHIPMENT OF S/C DASHES AND MAY HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH ALL OF THEM. ANYWAY, THEY ASKED ME TO RETURN THE DASH. THEY WILL SEND UPS TO PICK IT UP AND PAY RETURN SHIPPING AND SHIPPING FOR NEW ONE...

ROSS (OWNER OF QUICK TIME) CALLED ME THIS EVENING. HE SENT ME A NEW BELLHOUSING LAST WEEK AND A RETURN UPS NUMBER FOR THE OLD ONE. TURNS OUT THEY DID CHANGE THE DESIGN A BIT AND I DO HAVE THE CORRECT REPLACEMENT.

SO... GIVEN THE ORIGINAL QA/QC ISSUES, BOTH VENDORS HAVE DONE A CLASS JOB OF MAKING IT RIGHT..

SHERRELL (MARCH 5, 2007)

I need some encouragement...

First I order a new Quick Time bell housing. It arrived with engine-side flange bolt holes
miss-drilled... (see previous post) To their credit QT has sent me another with return prepaid shipping for the original (thanks Mike Forte for helping with this), but the new one doesn't exactly match the one I have, so I may have two bellhouses to send back...

I just unpacked my new Finish Line S/C dash panel, and was test mounting the gauges. Guess what? The hole for the turn signal indicator is misaligned. It is so close (edges are ~ 3/16" apart) to the Tach hole that the bezels on the Tach and the indicator lamp overlap... Don't understand this as there is plenty of room for the hole if it were correctly drilled. So I'll have to send my new dash panel back as well. I'm assuming Finish Line will make it right as I've only heard good things about them...

Anyway, this quality control issue is killing me. I have very little time to work on my build, and when I do, I have to deal with this...Maybe I should have just bought a Solstice...

I guess I would like to know if others are having /have had such bad luck with aftermarket vendor component quality? I'm not angry - just disappointed. It sure is discouraging and adds time / expense to the build...

Sherrell

[ March 05, 2007, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: Sherrell ]

·
Senior Charter Member
1,387 Posts
Sherrell,

Not that there is any valid excuse for it but sadly it seems like there is more and more of these types of issues. They are more common, in my opinion, with the kind of products we buy for these cars as the quantities that are produced aren't all that great and there doesn't seem to be that much investment in repeatable processes (tooling, jigs, etc). I chalk it up to the economics involved. The vast majority of the suppliers that support us will jump through hoops to correct issues which takes some of the sting out of it.

I know it's hard to deal with and patience is required. I just chalk it up to the overall experience of building a car from scratch.

As for the Solstice...don't you dare :eek:

All will be forgotten and forgiven the first time you drive it when it's done (not that it really ever is).

Mark

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,700 Posts
I haven't had quality issues, just timing issues.I order tires on the tire rack website Sun afternoon and they get here on Tues.I order parts by phone talking to the owner of the business ( a couple of our well known venders)and it takes 2 weeks.Geeezzz!

·
3 Generations on a MkIII
1,415 Posts
Sherrell:
When I get down on the build, (which is easy because I've got to do the whole thing for less than 17K!) I remember what it was like to be a dreamer instead of a builder. Remember that we are building dreams that most men would kill to own, or at least maim,to drive. You have got a carbed 351ci/400hp, 3-link I**2 DREAM about 50 feet away from you. What kind of issues do you think the old chicken farmer had when he was putting a V8 into a british car! Think of what he would have done for an I**2 system!! Yes, I'm new at this whole thing, and I have only been building for a couple of months, but I don't think I will EVER forget the day I put the order in. Solstice? Solstice? For God's sake man watch the "free" DVD from Factory Five with the sound up realy loud! (I say "free" DVD because that &$&^#*(% thing cost me 13 grand!)

Solstice. At least think about a supercharged MX-5. If there are any Solstice owners out there, I'm not looking for a flame job, so PM me to rag me out.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,345 Posts
I've had pretty good luck so far from vendors. Once in a while I would like a bit more communication especially on items that are taking more than a couple of weeks to ship.

I wasn't thrilled with the casting quality of the AC pedals ... but they were cheap and I beat on them a couple of times to make sure they won't break if I stomp on them and called it good. Besides, they're easy to swap out if I get worried about them.

Everything else that comes to mind has been the correct part, size, etc and have fit remarkably well in some cases. Frankly, I've had more problems and frustration with FFR kit items/quality control than anything else.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,378 Posts
Haven't had a problem with quality. Have had problems with getting shipped wrong parts.

End result is the same, delays and returns.

·
2,860 Posts
Maybe I should have just bought a Solstice...
NEVER;get hold of yourself.
:D :D :D

OK, these are great cars needing a lot of aftermarket items. They can be very frustrating and has happened to all of us . We're building a car...amazing when you think about. With many hundreds of different parts...we're going to be frustrated on occassion. You've hit a bump in the road; that's all. These annoyance will disappear from your memory when you turn the key for the first time. Guranteed ! Hang in there.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Sherrell,

Maybe I should have just bought a Solstice...
I'll be right over with a bar of soap and we are going to wash your mouth out

Sorry to hear about your quality control problems...it can be very frustrating.

When we were building my Ranger, we assumed any of the "bolt right in" part kits we bought were just raw material for us to fabricate the actual parts :mad:

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK guys... THANKS.

I went out to dinner with my wife and some old friends. Had a nice evening. This and your encouragement, and I'm feeling a bit better.

Didn't buy the Solstice and probably won't as I don't want be being blowing bubbles...(and it will save Rob a drive).

Anyway, after reflecting on this some, I think what I'm taking away is that I should probably go ahead now and make some final decisions (heater/no heater, glovebox, freshair vents, etc...) and order the parts. That way I can have a few weeks to return them and get everything straigtened out before I really have to have them...

Sherrell

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
Take your die grinder and move the hole away from the offending gage you will not see this when the covering is on you may also find you need to make the gage holes slightly larger to fit the covering it will work fine . Mine works just fine as far as your quick time issues I have seen many parts in my 20+ years of wrenching that come with a little piece of paper in it that say "part may appear different than what you are removing" Since I have no quick time experience the point is moot! Remember all these parts are custom/universal and require some lovin to get it right. do not get discouraged ! I can't even get a burger with no tomato . I go back they got this punk high school kid with his hat on backwards talking on the cell phone, underwear on the outside making burgers , So I ask to see the manager , "she ova deher" whoa 1 700lb woman with tatoos on her face and some sort of something sticking in her nose talking on the phone. It got really ugly for a little bit but I did get her off the phone long enough to unwrap my burger see the problem remove it and toss the offending 'mater in trash. Her phone wrang , I stopped her from answering it and told her that I'm allergic to 'maters and if there is any residue I could drop dead right here. She was so concered she picked up the phone and started her conversation with her man . This is our future perhaps we should raise the speed limits around the schools ??????where is that NO lever in the voting booth Bob

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
If you want it done right, do it yourself. Blank dash and cut the holes yourself. I am often reminded of this when I decide to save some time and just let someone else do the work. I end up undoing it and redoing it so it's right.

It's not always the case. The trick is to figure out when others can do it better than you can.

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bob,

Well I know I'm hard headed, but my view is I paid $175 for the dash (including shipping), and the vendor should make it right. (I have no reason to feel they won't, by the way.) With my luck, the work-around you suggested would be visible from 10 feet away...

Sherrell

1 - 14 of 14 Posts