Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the whole fiasco with my used 302, I started building a new 302 from an FMS shortblock.

It's taken me over 3 months to build this shortblock and I'm still not done. After buying the shortblock, I bought a canton oil pan, but it didn't have a bung for the oil temp sensor. I had to send it back and wait a month for it to get done and shipped back to me. I bought some junk-yard heads and had them rebuilt by a reputable builder this time. That process took 3 weeks. I got the whole mess together and went to bolt the intake manifold down; well, it didn't want to fit all the way down in the valley. I encouraged it a little with a rubber mallet, ever so gently. Anyhow, I ended up busting off an intake manifold bolt in the head. So, off with the head, ruining a $30 gasket, and back to the machine shop for extraction, drill out, I don't care, as long as it's done right. Anyhow, they've had my head for almost 2 weeks now.

This motor thing sucks my #[email protected][email protected] @%%^$# @#$ ^&#[email protected] [email protected] # @[email protected]#%^@# @#$ @@%% #$%#^^% @##@#$ 2#@$ %$%#^^ [email protected]#%#E%!!!!!!!

Right now, I'm thinking I should have bought a nice, put together car from the Cars for Sale link on the website :( Anyhow, I haven't been real active on the site because I'm kind of burnt out right now. I'll get back to it when my head is done (either one, I don't care). In the meanwhile, a
X 15 is sounding real good ;) Thanks for letting me whine. Speaking of whine, I think I need to buy a couple of boxes-o-wine and drive down to da bat cave and get drunk with the flying rodent

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
We missed ya Headergasket! Welcome back...Have a couple on me!

·
Non-whiner
10,646 Posts
I totally feel your pain! I heartily recommend the prescribed bat therapy. After a couple of hours with him, your problems will seem mild!

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
I know the feeling all to well after I blew up my $11K motor after 20 minutes of break-in. Take some time off and let it all pass. Then resume your build. it will get done.

Cheers
GT40 Bill

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Sometimes it seems like these cars are out to get you, but just when you think all is lost everything starts going the right way.
Are you sure your machine shop didnt deck the block and heads. IF they did that would cause the intake not to line up with the holes on the heads. Talk to them and if they have done the above mentioned then they need to mill your intake as well.

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
Cobrastang has a good point. If the heads and deck have been milled, the intake needs to be milled. It's easy to do.

Cheers
GT40 Bill

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
Fedder:

"That which does not kill you makes you stronger"
Unknown.

I respect the fact that you have scuff marks on your knees and palms: not on yer a$$!!!! Always fall forward. ;)

Just keep in mind that time when you are behind the wheel, dustin'n off that first wanna-be Cobra eater, and knowin' "Not only did I smoke you, I beat the dreaded SNAFU motor beast!"

Yeah, baby! Yeah! :D

Here's to good ole fashioned Yankee ingenuity and sticktuitiveness, and to YOU

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Well...shucks...if you want them I've got two stock heads you can have (free) to start over. They are just sitting here in my way.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First off, the block is a brand-new FMS shortblock. The heads were milled to make them flat during the rebuild. Theoretically, milling just the heads will not change the distance between the heads at any one point. You would have to mill the block to affect the fitment of the intake manifold.

Once I get the head back, I'll get it all bolted together, place the intake on it, take pictures, and post it.

Rip, thank you for the offer. I had these heads professionally rebuilt by a reputable builder, so I'm not real anxious to give up on them just yet. If this all blows up, I'll be giving you a call.

Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Fedderson - your post under your avitar says your a "FF Cobra Master Craftsman"! I feel your pain and frustration - hang in there. It does really get better. And yes to
!!

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
All the literature I've read says if you take off more than .024 from the heads, you have to mill the bottom of the intake in order for the intake bolt holes to line up with the holes in the heads.

Do you have an idea of how much has been milled from the heads?

When you get the heads back on, place the intake gaskets and the intake manifold on the engine and check the intake bolt alignment. You may have to have the bottom of the intake manifold milled to bring the holes back into alignment.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,608 Posts
Fedderson,

"Speaking of whine, I think I need to buy a couple of boxes-o-wine and drive down to da bat cave and get drunk with the flying rodent."

Great idea, but pease wait untill he's finished painting my car.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The hole alignment thing makes sense, but the intake manifold should still have dropped all the way down into the valley, which it did not. That's what isn't making sense, but I'll get the thing back together and then we'll deal with that issue. I promise, I'll bring it back up.

No way, Doug. He and I could have a real good time with a sprayer, your car, and a suicide of colors on a real good buzz

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
Here is a thought - could the manifold be for a tall deck block?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's a Spyder intake, so it's correct. I had it on the bad motor with stock heads and it fit just fine there. Something weird is happening. I'll take pictures when I get the head back.

·
Supermoderator
12,393 Posts
Originally posted by Feddersen:
Theoretically, milling just the heads will not change the distance between the heads at any one point. You would have to mill the block to affect the fitment of the intake manifold.
Not true. The heads and top of block are not flat, therefore ANY change in height results in a change in width. Anything more than a .020" change in height requires adjustment. Before you try to install the manifold again, have it milled to reflect the difference in width.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I'm curious as to where you are looking in order to determine that the intake is "down all the way" into the motor.

There should be clearance IE a gap between the intake and the block at the front and rear end seals. The intake should never sit down all the way technically speaking.

A milling of .020 from the heads is a bit more than typically needed to simply clean up the deck surface, but even at that, you should still be able to simply bolt the intake down and basically have a slight port misalignment.

I'm wondering if your machine shop mis-milled those heads or slightly angle milled them or something.

A picture would be good idea!

Steve

·
Cobra Colorist
5,632 Posts
WELL, I'M WAITING....so get down here with the Box-O-Wine allready....if I'm not home you can find me at the craps table at Pachanga....nothing I like better then snake eyes with a $20 horn bet. ;) ...sept maybe gettin roaring drunk and running around town in my tights

1 - 20 of 21 Posts