·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help!
Edelbrock 600 cfm performer carb...
Holley red electric fuel pump...
7 psi pressure...
At times I'm getting blow by the float needles..
.I've cleaned out the bowls several times...
any ideals whats going on???????

[ March 30, 2007, 01:44 AM: Message edited by: Les FFR5136 ]

·
Junior Charter Member
612 Posts
I just had the same problem, check the pressure, my red was running at 11PSI. I got a regulator and everything is better.

Mike

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
25,974 Posts
KarlS is right on. I went with a Mallory comp 110 becasue its integral regulator is adjustable from 4 to 7 psi. It's so much quieter than the holley pump too.

Greg

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
903 Posts
too much fuel press 4-5 psi plenty depending on line size

·
Senior Charter Member
148 Posts
I worked on a Holly 650 (pretty new from factory) for a guy down from Phoenix. Took the carb apart & found that the chrome like plating was coming off. Told him to call Holly. They sent him a new carb, no questions asked. Apparently they had a problem with the plating. Does your carb have the chrome/polished look? If so take the bowls off & check to see if there are little bubbles/bumps in the plating. Scrape them with your finger & the plating will come off. Stuff must get into everything. Maybe you have this problem too.
mike

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
I'm with the others that 5 psi should be enough.
I like to install a new fuel filter after the first 100 or so miles on a new build. Too much junk in the lines and tank we can't get out that ends up making it's way to the carb. Takes only a spec to cause a leaking float.

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Ive seen them leak at 7 psi. I definately would not go over 5 psi. My holley dribbles at 7 psi with a trick kit in it. I run 4 psi and have never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
6,142 Posts
Hey Les, I know you really don't want to change out pumps. But the Carter #4070 is a hellava pump. Very low pressure but high volume. No return/regulator.

·
Premium Member
10,650 Posts
Edelbrocks are notorious for this and CAN NOT be run without a regulator. Get a regulator (no return required) and you will be good to go.

·
1,569 Posts
second the Carter 4070 pump.

·
Junior Charter Member
825 Posts
I got out the eddelbrock book to check and see because you guys got me thinking, they reccomend 5.5 max pressure for the 600 cfm. charlie

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
update....my red Holley was putting out around 8 psi...installed a quick fuel regulator...set to 5 psi works great!
Thanks for the input

Les

1 - 20 of 20 Posts