Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Underdoor carpet

4K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  edwardb 
#1 ·
How in the hell is this under door carpet supposed to work? I've tried to orient this piece every way I can think of, and it seems impossible for it to go over the under door aluminium. Mk-4 BTW.

I did an extensive search, but saw nothing but broken links.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
You have the drivers side piece, the long rectangle piece closest to your feet goes horizontal. The little tip on the left of the picture wraps around the door hinge post just below the door hinge. The curved part on that end folds up vertical and follows the underside of the door toward the front. The irregular shaped prong to the right folds up vertical and covers the vertical part at the bottom rear of the door and also up around the latch post.

It helps if you have some origami skills.

#4 ·
Gatorfan explained it (not easy...) and here's a picture that isn't the best but shows where it goes. This is the passenger side. You can see the flat along the top, and then how it wraps up both ends plus the curves along the side. If you use contact cement and do a section at a time, it actually works pretty well. My only complaint is that when done the raw edge of the carpet is visible where it steps down into the cockpit. I had my local auto upholstery shop sew some binding on the edge of mine. Big improvement IMO.

#6 ·

The piece on the right is actually for the driver's side. Fold the carpet 90 degrees along that yellow line. Section "A" gets applied horizontally along the ~2" wide surface under the door. Section "B" gets applied vertically to the backside of the body under the door opening. When you do this the two edges identified with the orange lines will meet and make a 90 degree intersection. The tab at the front turns inward and folds so that it lays on the 2X2 square tube in front of the door. When you do this the two blue edges will meet and also make a 90 degree intersection. The edge marked with green meets the rear bulkhead carpet behind the door. Hope this makes some sense. I think if you take your piece and fold it then put it into position it will start to become clear.

Good luck!

Jeff

#7 ·
The piece on the right is actually for the driver's side. Fold the carpet 90 degrees along that yellow line. Section "A" gets applied horizontally along the ~2" wide surface under the door. Section "B" gets applied vertically to the backside of the body under the door opening. When you do this the two edges identified with the orange lines will meet and make a 90 degree intersection. The tab at the front turns inward and folds so that it lays on the 2X2 square tube in front of the door. When you do this the two blue edges will meet and also make a 90 degree intersection. The edge marked with green meets the rear bulkhead carpet behind the door. Hope this makes some sense. I think if you take your piece and fold it then put it into position it will start to become clear.

Good luck!

Jeff
Great instructions Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.