Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Charter Member
140 Posts
Most are using a product from any local auto store, it is a rubber undercoat and sealer in a spray can.

Erich

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,808 Posts
Truck bed liner. My painter (streetrodpainter.com) sprayed it on during the body and paint work. It's great.

San Rafael Mike

·
FFCobra Craftsman
949 Posts
Typically most I know have done it in the wheel wells only to prevent spider cracks from
rocks thrown up by the tires.

[ July 08, 2002, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: al solomko ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has anyone had any success with using any undercoating on the aluminum panels? Any prep work need to be done to them to have good adhesion? WalMart and a few local auto parts stores have a roll-on truck bedliner that looks like it may work ok. Ideas?

thanks
Chris

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Just seal the underside of the body with a good cheap black epoxy rolled on first, then use the truck bed liner only in the fender wells in very heavy application for stone "checking" protection.
I would not use use the liner plastic all over for weight reasons and never over raw fiberglass surfacing.

grumpy

·
Registered
401 Posts
I would NOT recommend the rubberized spray-on undercoat from a can. It provides very little protection and will melt like an ice cube on a hot sidewalk when hit with oil or grease. I got talked into using it on the underside of my aluminum and I've been sorry ever since. Use the bedliner. Mucho better.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
grumpy why not over raw fiberglass?

since I have just completed the go-cart stage I am off to body work 101. I would like to have any seen underside of body painted to look a little better than raw.. Like engine bay...

:confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts