Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Charter Member
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You would think after 15 years on the road I would be done building this cobra. This year I turned 70 and it’s time to mellow out a little. I’ll be replacing the FFR stainless pipes with j-pipes with new cats and Spintech 7000 mufflers. Spintech mufflers have been done before but I’m not sure with the cats added ahead of them. Looking to quiet this thing down between trap shooting and the cobra I can’t be doing my ears any good. I can be a competitive guy, but just couldn’t get my car as loud as Bill Blackwood's car so I’m going to give up trying. Just think how happy the neighbors are going to be when I sneak out of the neighborhood for those early morning rides. Since the beginning I’ve had meatballs and stickers, they will be coming off for a more period English sport car look as opposed to the race car look. Parts are getting ordered but not in any rush. I’ve been working on my cars since 17 and at 70 I’m still buying car parts and automotive tools I guess I can lay blame on Dave Smith, thanks Dave :).

·
FFCobra Fanatic
942 Posts
The FAQ no longer shows up but I still have the original document I uploaded many years ago showing how jolsen42 did his under car exhaust set up. He did not use cats on his car but you still might find the rest helpful. If you are interested, just send me your email and I'll give you a copy.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I tried to get my wife to buy into glassing up the side pipe cutout and going under car exhaust. She was having nothing of it.
She has only been in the FFC three times. I keep trying to tell her it would be much quieter with the under car exhaust.
I love the sleek look of the non-side pipe Cobras.

·
Charter Member
251 Posts
I grabbed a few pics of undercar pipe setups. Doing the same on mine.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
942 Posts
Here are some pics from the old FAQ, showing how jolsen42 did his under car exhaust system. The actual construction is fairly simple, and almost copies the set up on the original cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the spintechs without cats and they are loud enough to sound good, but not annoying while driving. At highway speeds they are almost quiet. I can certainly hear my radio just fine. I just wish I could get them all the way out the back of the car rather than on the side in front of the rear wheels, but with the new IRS, I can't see a way to do it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the spintechs without cats and they are loud enough to sound good, but not annoying while driving. At highway speeds they are almost quiet. I can certainly hear my radio just fine. I just wish I could get them all the way out the back of the car rather than on the side in front of the rear wheels, but with the new IRS, I can't see a way to do it.

I have them installed and routed them under the lower A-arms for the irs. Mine then turn and go out the side behind the rear tire but could have routed along the sides of the gas tank to exit out the rear.

The pipes are below the frame at that point, but since they are almost immediately next to the rear tire there is not much risk. (I would have to have something barely miss the rear tire, but be high enough to hit the exhaust pipe right next to the tire)

They do barely touch the toe adjustment arm at full droop but would have been easy to clear.

yes - i plan on returning the jack stands. There is a backup under the car when i am under it.... (but thanks for noticing)

Greg
exhaust rear.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Greg,

Thanks for that photo. I'm going to give that a try on mine. I used the oval pipe, so that should give me a little more room.

Jeff

·
Junior Charter Member
502 Posts
Any issues with the heat coming off the exhaust tips effecting the bodywork? I assume no; I like that setup.

Thanks,
Lou

·
Registered
406 Posts
I put an undercar exhaust on mine (part of the original build plan). I don't have a specific thread related to the exhaust, but you can read my build thread starting at the top of page 5 (linked here Flaircraft's budget build ) which is where I have my initial post regarding the exhaust. I have sporadic posts as the build progresses and pics showing the headers, downpipes, mufflers, tailpipes etc. I also have a video with sound of the final product.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Here are some pics from the old FAQ, showing how jolsen42 did his under car exhaust system. The actual construction is fairly simple, and almost copies the set up on the original cars.
I think he built that about the same time as I was building mine.....almost made me regret not doing an undercar exhaust. I love the look of the FFR with 15" wheels and without sidepipes. Beautiful build.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts