Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine is finished with carpet, the battery is under floor mounted on the upper left, and I have aunder floor mounted storage cubbie to the right of the battery. Both are covered by a aluminum lid.

I was thinking out no carpet, whats your take on this?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Carpet...not alot of work to carpet the trunk, but really makes a big difference when done. A finished look!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Carpet. If you plan on putting anything in the trunk, it will scuff the aluminum up as it slides back and forth.

Don H

·
Registered
809 Posts
Question

I am going to carpet my trunk. For those of you who did did you put the carpet directly on the aluminum or did you put an underlay on first. As well can the carpet be lifted for access to the fuel tank?

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
28,627 Posts

Greg

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,346 Posts
I think a better question would be... Use my trunk or never use my trunk? Without carpet and or tie downs the aluminum would get scratched and look ugly, not to mention the noise of all your junk banging around.

Weight would be the only reason I would not use carpet. Mine is a driver so carpet it is.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I went with carpet over fatmat. Very happy with that decision. I always have stuff in my trunk.

·
28,627 Posts
I think a better question would be... Use my trunk or never use my trunk? Without carpet and or tie downs the aluminum would get scratched and look ugly, not to mention the noise of all your junk banging around.
You have a point. I've made several week long trips and to protect the trunk, I place the car cover down first, then use only soft duffel bags. I bungee them together using some U-hooks placed on the side panels. No scratches to date. The under trunk storage holds the tools, air compressor, tire plugs, tape and plastic to cover the entire car if it rains.

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
I velcro'd my trunk carpet down so it can be removed easily.

So maybe my answer is 'both'.

·
section 8
5,135 Posts
Nice work guys!! Mine is bare unpolished aluminum. I left it like that so that when I show off the car it's easier to explain the construction . Saves a lot of explaining Bob

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,655 Posts
Mine's a track car, and access to the top-fill fuel cell is right in the center of the trunk floor.

So, for me, less weight = no carpet.

What I did was to take the trunk panels, and scuff them with a scotch-brite pad and soapy water, so the aluminum is "pre-scuffed" and then I don't have to worry. I use my trunk heavilly, so by having it this way, I don't have to worry about keeping it show-car perfect, it's just a trunk.

·
2010 FFCars Graduate
3,027 Posts
As others noted it will get scuff marks on it and things tend to slide around easier on the bare aluminum. I carpeted mine when the body was off for paint.
It looks much nicer according to all my friends. Glued it to the aluminum. No padding/insulation. It's noticeably quieter.

·
Coolest Puzzle ever !
1,305 Posts
carpet

carpet for me

cheers

MK4

Attachments

·
28,627 Posts
I carpeted mine when the body was off for paint. Glued it to the aluminum. No padding/insulation. It's noticeably quieter.
I glued 1/4" Low-e film to the underside and exterior sides of all the polished trunk aluminum for sound deadening since I was not applying carpet. Low-e is the same stuff I used under the carpets, on the foot boxes, back of the firewall, back of elephant ears, etc to minimize heat and sound transfer.

Greg

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.