Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just reading the thread about that awesome garage in Texas. I love Garages and dream about (almost as much as a cobra) building a great one!

How about some pics of peoples garages for some further ideas and inspiration?

Thanks!

Mtwheels

[ September 12, 2004, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: Larry N. Johnson ]

·
Senior Charter Member
3,848 Posts
I keep telling my wife I want to build a house that the whole front of it is garage, then just one step up into the kitchen living area:) She's not bitting on it though?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a great idea to me!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I am most buildt a big shop/garage with a apt over it to live in. THe plan was to live in the apt till I got married again. THen I would build a nice house next to it and be dialed!

·
1,573 Posts
I read about a year or so ago about a guy that bought an old fire station and completely renovated it. If I remember correctly he lived upstairs and the bottom area was his garage.

You guys remember the TV show Vegas, where the guy parked his car in the living room?

A buddy of mine, his mom, bought a house here in town that was owned by the Ferrari Dealer here. The house was 12,000SF with a 12 car garage with 6 lifts one was actually the big hydralic types, when they went to look at the house it was full of exotics. There was even an old Jag (never got what model) sitting in the living room.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,120 Posts
Craig Small build a two or three car garage just to build his Mark II!!!!! Has great lighting all the plumbing for air tools, and even a bathroom.Craig..post pics.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My idea is to build a decent 3-4 car garage to house my daily drivers on one side and have a working side with a lift, etc.
Then off the back build a pole type structure (warehouse style) for storage of my dream vehicles and the boat and snowmobiles and the such.
I have some great images in my head, now i just need the money..and land... to build it!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have looked at 100's of plans and thanks for the good links, but i would like to see some pictures of real live wokring garages.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,293 Posts
You can't build one big enough.Mine is almost 1400sf(36'w x 38'd),16'bench in front,9'bench in the back with shelves under.I have a 9'wire industrial shelf unit on one wall.Cool,you'd think.
Stuff is overflowing into the basement!!

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Ok, here's some pics of my friend Scott's garage where I built my car...

The garage is about 43' x 27". lift on the right side, all the tools we could possibly need (almost) on the left..

It still seemed like we didn't have enough room!!
Ken

·
15,282 Posts
I currently live over a friend's garage in a full apartment. Downstairs are my daily driver M5, and a Porsche Cayenne. The house I currently have under construction only has space for a 2-car, but I specified 11' ceilings so that I can do two four-poster lifts when the time comes for additional vehicles. :D Always planning on that future spending potential. lol

The warehouse that a buddy loaned me to build my FFR (out in CA) must've been 8000 square feet. It was mostly a tin shed, but it worked out GREAT. He has an even larger cinderblock "warehouse" next door. Very non-descript from the front, but it has three 25-foot roller doors. Inside he's got all his toys -- three speedboats, a model T, a model T dually truck, his dad's one-owner '49 Merc, two never-titled DeLoreans (he had the dealership and kept two when the company tanked), a barely-used Lotus-powered ZR1 'Vette, and a ton of other stuff that slips my mind right now. Overall, it blew that Dallas garage away -- I miss hanging out with him!

Cheers, John

·
Junior Charter Member
123 Posts
You get the just of the garage from the link below.

Just your basic 24x26 12 high with steel beams no posts.
The red is a 63 buic electra convt. 401 aluminum widlcat engine.
The green is grandpa's 51 buick straight eight.

How does everyone keep theirs so clean.

George

·
2,071 Posts
Sean,

The Ruby one with the Cobra65 plate is mine, the rest were just visitors for the Nationals. I have started collecting stuff for the next one.

·
Just Glad to be here - back to working on the car
1,633 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a garage that is 28x53. Four stalls, three with garage doors and the other with a "people" door. (I'm sure there is a proper architectural name for regular doors, but I don't know what it is.) Three stalls have 9 foot ceilings with an attic storage space above. The fourth stall has a 13 ft ceiling and a 2 post car lift. The upstairs attic space has a max height of almost 8 ft and provides about 1000 sq ft of storage space. A door on the side of the attic space opens onto the stall with the car lift so I can lift heavy objects upstairs. The air compressor is in the attic and air lines are plumbed throughout the garage. There are 5 220 outlets and a bunch of 110 outlets. There is a bathroom, sink, and refrigerator with ice maker, etc. The outside is stucco with a tile roof, inside is drywall painted off-white. The floor is painted with light grey epoxy. R-13 insulation in the walls, R-27 in the ceiling just beneath the roof sheathing. Garage doors and the "people" door are insulated. No windows or skylights.

I made a few mistakes, primarily with framing and the floor. The framing is 2x4 wood construction. Next time I'd go for cement block. It's more thermally efficient, quieter, and infinitely resistant to termites. It's more expensive and requires firring strips for interior drywall, but I'd look into this if I were to build another garage. By far my biggest mistake was the concrete slab. It has a gentle slope that goes towards the garage doors for water drainage, but I forgot that a sloped floor with a car lift is a no-no. The slope isn't much, but it's enough that I can't leave a car in neutral and be sure that it won't roll a little bit. Next time I'd go with a perfectly flat floor that is made in a single pour, and then cut expansion grooves afterwords. Live and learn...

There is also a 2 car garage attached to the house.

I bought this house with the idea of renovating it and adding on. I enclosed the attached carport into a 2 car garage, and built the big garage. The house is still a dump, but the garages look pretty good. I have about 6 more months of work left to do on the house, but the important thing was to get the garage(s) finished first.

A man has have his priorities in order. I can live in a house that doesn't have carpeting or a functional kitchen, but I can't live without a garage that has a car lift.

John Crawford

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sloped floors are perfectly acceptable with a lift. Just put your car in gear, use the parking brake, or use a wheel chock. If I had to choose between easier water drainage, which greatly facilitates cleaning the garage floor, and leaving my car in gear, I'd pick the latter every time. (Confessions of a garage owner with slightly graded floor and a lift. :D )

1 - 20 of 40 Posts