Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Daily Driver since 2/03
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a T-5 transmission but after a year I just noticed it has TREMEC stamped on it. This is the first Ford stuff I've ever messed with.

Does this explain why I had to shorten the drive shaft an extra 3/4" and why I'm having U-joint binding problems? I skimmed over the many Tremec posts and remember something about shimming it up some.

Anyone have a quick summary of what to do for a Tremec rear shift that's not like the normal T-5 install?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,899 Posts
IMO the Tremec is a much better tranny. Is it a 3550 or TKO? G.

·
Daily Driver since 2/03
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The invoice has M-7003-Z "world class T5" from the Ford racing catalog. I guess that makes it a regular T5...

Back to my winter projects - including finding a way to keep the u-joints from binding.

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
Originally posted by Zulu:
T5 Z is made by Tremec.

they bought out the previuous owners , i forget who that was.

Thus all new T5's , TKO's, T3550's are all made in Mexico at Tremec.
I think Borg Warner was the maker of the T5

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
4,481 Posts
I've always been confused by this also. I have a T5 that has Borg Warner in the casting but it had a Tremec sticker on it. Wasupwidat ? :confused:

·
7,134 Posts
Well Tim

I just knew about the fact that Tremec had purchased Borg Warner and nothing else.

I found the following statement on a website for 3550 transmisions for Jags
The 3550 from Tremec Trading Corporation was a high performance 5 speed designed to replace weaker T5 5 speeds in Mustangs. Tremec Corp. was originally a vendor for Ford and Jeep during the 1970's thru late 1980's. By 1986 they were no longer an OEM supplier for any U.S. auto maker and solely dependant on aftermarket sales of their 3 and 4 speed parts as well as transmission sales to the South American markets as a main source of revenue.

As demand for the gears they were making dropped off, the 3550 5 speed created that extra income boost they needed. They recently ( 1997 ) acquired the rights to manufacture transmissions for U.S. auto makers by purchasing Borg Warner's Automotive Gear Divison. So the T5 and 3550 are now made by Tremec!

Tremec was dropped by the auto makers simply because of poor quality and delivery. When you compare the fantastic engineering of Borg Warner to Tremec units it becomes quite obvious why Tremec purchased Warner and their vast base of technology patents. New units made after the 3550 could prove to be some of the finest combinations of Tremec's manufacturing base along with Warners technology!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts