Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
7,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any issues with the car fit/clearance on the U-haul car carrier?

I've looked all over DE for a place that rents enclosed and just can't find one. So, it looks like either U-haul or Ryder.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Mike,

I went to Uhaul earlier this week looking for a car trailer. The trailer they have has a 75" wide bed with a 41" wide opening in the middle and the capacity is 3,900lb. Also, the left fender tilts out so you can open the car door once it's on the trailer. It looked like my car would fit, but they wouldn't rent it to me because I have an Explorer :mad: .

One thing I'm not sure of is the angle of the ramps. My concern with any trailer is the car frame bottoming out when I load it on.

Charlie

·
Charter Member
478 Posts
I've used an open U-Haul a couple of times with no problem. They may have several models so you may have different results. I was most concerned with scraping the bottom, but had plenty of clearance.

FFR #1920

·
Senior Charter Member
295 Posts
If you have to, unhook and raise the nose of the trailer. That will reduce your angle of attack. If the trailer doesn't have a tongue jack, use your floor jack or bottle jack. Be sure to chock your wheels on both sides and by all means...remember to take the jack with you!
(That's a good idea in case of a flat tire on a trailer anyway)

John

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,078 Posts
I had to unload my 1964 1/2 Mustang from a trailer with a very steep ramp. It was going to bottom out so I just drove down the street to a hill and it helped with the angle of the ramps. Obviously if your car isn't completed you don't want to be pushing it down the road but if it's driveable then this solution could help if you're concerned about bottoming out.
Doug

·
Premium Member
18,143 Posts
The u-haul trailer works fine, I've used them a few times without difficulty. They are easy to hook up, have a good surge brake, and it's economical for the occasional tow.

The problem comes up with the ramp length and angle. When you hook it up to your tow vehicle, it must be level or (better) slightly raised in the front. Some trailers have longer ramps or lower deck heights than others, so take a look at them before renting. Also, you can place one or two lengths of 2x12 under the end of the ramp to extend it a little.

·
7,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome responses guys thanks!
I'll be towing with my GMC Sierra p/u so it may even decrease the ramp angle a little. If not, I can shore it up some with some dunnage. They rent them on the Air Force base now so this will be an easy fix for me for the fling.
Can't believe there aren't more places that rent enlcosed trailers! Hmmm business opportunity?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts