Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
26,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a donor tank pulled from a 91 stang:

1. Is there some sort of metal flange that keeps the filler neck pipe connected to the side of the tank or is the neck simnply pushed through the rubber grommet?

2. I removed the EFI pump for a look inside and some sort of metal "basket" that was formally captured by the pump pickup screen is now sliding around inside the tank. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Greg

·
6,332 Posts
The filler just gets pushed thru the grommet. There was a bracket on the mustang but it's not used on our car.
The screen should not just fall off.
Frank

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
Cobra Nutcase
1,633 Posts
1. Yes there is an arm metal arm/flange that goes around the filler neck and bolts to the edge of the gas tank. This is to keep the neck from sliding out of the tank.

2. I'm not sure what screen your talking about, but there shouldn't be anything loose in your tank. Is it the screen that goes on the and of the fuel pump?

Rob

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
26,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone,

1. So the consensus is the filler neck just sticks through the grommet and doesn't need to be machanically secured to the tank on the FFR.

2. In my case it seems the baffle is loose and when I removed the pump and its screen which was the only thing holding the baffle stationary, the baffle is now free to move. I guess I should send both my donor tanks (yes both, the first one was severly dented) back to stangparts.com and buy an Autozone replacement tank for only 5 bucks more than I paid for the donor.

Greg

·
Cobra Nutcase
1,633 Posts
1. If I were you I would secure it. There is always that possibility that the arm could pull out of the tank enough for gas to slosh out. I wouldn't chance it. I'm sure it's a cheap part.

2. But another tank. I bought mine at autozone, and I believe I paid around $125.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts