Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
FFR Driver
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for input regarding the installation of two Vortech Superchargers. I have a standard single install and was wondering about installing an additional Vortech. Anybody been there and done that?

I have seen the twin ATI photo's (very nice) and have looked into the turbo route. Just looking for input on twin Vortechs on an FFR.

Thanks!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
784 Posts
Why?

Can flow more air with a single than most motors can swallow..if you running pump gas the most you can run safely is ~14psi on a very good tune..race fuel can about 18-20psi max without tearing parts up like heads and blocks. to Run anything more than that you need a r203,a4 or the new dart block to even hold any more than that without deflecting

14-16psi easy with and S trim
24ish with a T trim
and the YS renegage will put you in a world of hurt.

Phil

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I am no expert- nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Could you be thinking dual-huffers because you've seen dual Turbochargers? I THINK dual turbo work because they are FREE adders. That is, no additional drag to run them.
OTOH, friction/drag loss with dual supercharges may nearly outweigh the additional benefit(?) of additional boost.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Be well,

·
FFCobra Craftsman
4,241 Posts
Pat..... What the.... I guess if one is good two are better???

Rgds

Rob

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,067 Posts
Are you trying to be like Bill Cosby?

You'll have to get a 200mph speedo and write the words "Oh Wow" after the 200. :D

Greg

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Ya see guys, you got to know Pat to appreciate the way his mind works:

Pat, we know that your motto is "if one beer is good, then two are better!" Your philosophy on beer doesn't always translate well with other of life's endeavors. ;)

Maybe your thinking should be "if a can of Miller is good, then a can of Foster's will be better." :D

·
Charter Member
450 Posts
Could be, two blowers would deliver a cooler air charge than one working twice as hard. I think a heat exchanger would work better than a second blower and would cost less than the second blower. BUT; Two blowers would look GOOD!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I agree it's a totally awesome looking setup, but the driveability & reliability would be non-existent, unless it was a trailer queen!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I bet you could watch the fuel gauge drop while that twin huffer, twin double pumper was IDLING!! :eek:

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,514 Posts
A racer from NJ did this back in the early days of 5.0 racing. His name was Craig Radovich, he ran twin Vortechs at a time when Vortech didnt have to go to double letters on their line of Superchargers because of so many models. He ran successfully at the time but soon the Mondo's came out then the XX etc. As for the Wow factor...it ranks right up there with Stacks. It can be done... you would just need some custom brackets for the driver side mount supercharger and some sort of intake that would support two chargers. A dual quad intake with twin throttlebodies would work. The electronics could be tricky trying to use two mass-airs and two TPS's. Where there's a will there's a way...GO FOR IT!!!

Mike

·
Charter Member
141 Posts
I like your "More Power" thought process, however, there is a cheaper, more efficient, "cooler" way to add horse power. A Boost Cooler is exactley what the FFR doctor ordered. It makes the air being forced into the intake 20% cooler resulting in 20% more power. The kits are usually $300 and they use windsheild washer fluid. (Water/Methanol injection system)That's what I call cheap. Instead of paying $40 to fill a NOS bottle you pay $2 for washer fluid. Also it's 100% safe and will not hurt the motor in any way. These kits are very high tech and wont cost an arm and a leg like another vortech would. Now you have a supercharged alcohol blown Factory Five. That's "COOL"
Good Luck to ya, Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts