Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all
Im building a Mk 4 kit with the RF wiring harness, LED rectangular tail lights, Russ Thompson turn signal stalk and the Hopkins converter. The turn indicator lights , brake lights and hazard flashers all work correctly when the running lights are on but when they are off, the turn indicators all flash together no matter if the left or right turn indicators are selected. The indicators flash brightly on the side that is selected and the other side flashes less brightly. Can anyone suggest where im going wrong?

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Good day all
Im building a Mk 4 kit with the RF wiring harness, LED rectangular tail lights, Russ Thompson turn signal stalk and the Hopkins converter. The turn indicator lights , brake lights and hazard flashers all work correctly when the running lights are on but when they are off, the turn indicators all flash together no matter if the left or right turn indicators are selected. The indicators flash brightly on the side that is selected and the other side flashes less brightly. Can anyone suggest where im going wrong?
I personally can only guess. But typically when people have problems with the lights it's a grounding issue. Ground the system well and in several places.

·
Registered
367 Posts
My money is on a bad ground. The good news is that they are usually pretty easy to spot and fix. Trace every wire, especially that the turn signals. Since these cars are fiberglass, the ground has to be somewhere else. I also would double check each ground that goes to the chassis. Make sure that there is solid metal to metal contact and no paint or power coating getting in the way.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Sounds to me like possible back feeding from one side to the other. If I'm right, a couple of diodes (one for each side) should fix it.

Unfortunately, I don't have LEDs or diodes for my turn signals, so I don't have a part number to recommend. But when you find the right ones, it's a simple test using some alligator clips to temporarily wire them into your circuit.

John

·
Registered
367 Posts
Sounds to me like possible back feeding from one side to the other. If I'm right, a couple of diodes (one for each side) should fix it.

Unfortunately, I don't have LEDs or diodes for my turn signals, so I don't have a part number to recommend. But when you find the right ones, it's a simple test using some alligator clips to temporarily wire them into your circuit.

John
Good idea. Did you add the diodes to the emergency flasher circuit?

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Did a bit of searching, and suggest you use a 5A 30V Shottky diode between the switch & the LED. Put the band on the diode away from the switch.

John

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Did you not get the install instructions with your turn signal?
There are a set of diodes you need for it to work properly.

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts