Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a common problem but, started wiring my dash, but no turn signals front or rear, no indicator lights on dash, gauges are lit,volt meter works,clock works,headlights work(high and low beams) parking lights work and rear driving lights work. using ffr gauges with RF harness. thought everything was wired correctly, but something must be missing, think its all grounded, checked fuses,any advice?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Get out the test light/meter and try and figure out where power is and isn't.

·
Not a waxer
12,092 Posts
Hi Andy,
I got your PM. Two questions for tonight then I'll check back in the morning for your answers. Are you getting power on the gray "turn flasher feed" wire? Do you have the bulbs installed in all of the lamps on all four corners of the car?

Later,
Jeff

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Jeff, I will check the power feed on the grey wire in the morning and let you know. bulbs are all in since I have running lights all around. thanks for the help, I will get back to you.-Andy

·
Official OLD GUY
3,877 Posts
Flasher type

Are you using LED replacement bulbs, by any chance? Most "thermal" type flashers won't trigger with LED's, not enough current to load the flasher.

Also, remove the flasher from your fuse panel and check for voltage on the sockets that the flasher plugs into. If there is power there, make a small jumper to replace the flasher temporarily and check for the lights working (with no flash). if they come on, your flasher is probably bad.

HTH

Doc :beerchug:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks Doc, got them workin, flasher was shot. all turn signals work at all four corners. Now, im trying to hook up the hazzard switch. got power to pink wire, but not sure if im hooking the switch up right,nothings happening, using the 6 prong on/on toggle that came with complete kit. is there a diagram to follow to hook this switch up?

·
Not a waxer
12,092 Posts
Now, im trying to hook up the hazzard switch. got power to pink wire, but not sure if im hooking the switch up right,nothings happening, using the 6 prong on/on toggle that came with complete kit. is there a diagram to follow to hook this switch up?
Good news on the turn signals Andy!

For the hazards you do not use an ON/ON switch; you'll use the DPST ON/OFF toggle. It will have two terminals on each end. On one end connect the pink feed wire to each terminal. On the other end connect the light blue right front turn wire to one terminal and connect the dark green left front turn wire to the other terminal:

That should get it!

Jeff

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Jeff, you were a huge help!. bad news though the toggle switch that came with my kit is a 2 pos. switch,on-on DPDT. can I just by what i need at Pepboys?

·
Registered
925 Posts
NKK makes a switch that is a fairly close match to the Lucas switches:

Rather than mixing and matching, though, I just replaced all of the Lucas with the much better quality NKK ones. They're a little bit pricey, but are rated at 25A, have a great feel, have the right look and are a good investment, IMO.

I got them from Mouser, but they're currently out of stock. Digikey also has them:

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=633-S331R-RO+

Tim

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Tim, I will look into that. I wonder why FFR doesnt supply us with that switch?

·
Official OLD GUY
3,877 Posts
terminal count

How many wiring terminals are on the back side of your "on-on" switch, you may be able to use it anyway.

If there are 6, then just don't hook anything to the two you want to be the "off" side, usually on the outer terminals, centers being power in.

HTH

Never mind, I see (now) in your third post, you are using a 6 position switch, so just hook up as I described above, like Jeff's diagram.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I am getting close to wiring switches and noticed that there were a couple more wires than I expected. My RF manual did not have the switch wiring page if there is such a page. It had a had duplicate images of the rear harness. I didnt know about these for post switches. Is there a way to do it with 2 post switches?

Thanks,
Alex

·
Official OLD GUY
3,877 Posts
two post switches

Alex,

Not without relays controlling everything for the E-Flasher part, OK for the TS part.

I have a circuit that uses relays to make all four lights come on in the rear for braking and both upper and lower for TS, if anyone's interested . . .

·
Registered
127 Posts
switches

AK, My manual from RF had a doplicate page, also. Someone posted the right page from the RF website. It definitely helps having that page. Maybe someone more computer literate than me can post that page again. Also, I found the same switches as supplied by FFR at Radio Shack. Mike

·
Official OLD GUY
3,877 Posts
RF complete

Here ya go . . .

·
Not a waxer
12,092 Posts
How many wiring terminals are on the back side of your "on-on" switch, you may be able to use it anyway.

If there are 6, then just don't hook anything to the two you want to be the "off" side, usually on the outer terminals, centers being power in.

...I see (now) in your third post, you are using a 6 position switch, so just hook up as I described above, like Jeff's diagram.
Although it didn't occur to me until he mentioned it Doc is exactly right! Just check to be sure that it truly is an ON/ON (FFR would have supplied this for the high/low beams) and not an ON/OFF/ON or OFF/ON/ON which would have been for wipers. You could still use either of those but need to assure that you're on the proper terminals.

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Although it didn't occur to me until he mentioned it Doc is exactly right! Just check to be sure that it truly is an ON/ON (FFR would have supplied this for the high/low beams) and not an ON/OFF/ON or OFF/ON/ON which would have been for wipers. You could still use either of those but need to assure that you're on the proper terminals.

Cheers,
Jeff
Hey jeff, I just bought a 4 post on/off switch on ebay, it was $3. I will let you know if I have any issues when I install it. thanks again-Andy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.