Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
There was a car owned by Tom Auston of Utah that was at Las Vegas FFR Nationals that had a Turbo-charged, fuel-injected, 5.0 engine.

I heard it take off on Friday night, and it was significantly quieter that standard sidepipes.

Tom's car won 3rd Place in Inovation.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yes, turbo(s) definately act as a muffler. At first I thought I would miss the sound, but it actually is nice. Adds to the sleeper effect too.

It does get loud when the wastegates open though.

Mike

·
Charter Member
1,765 Posts
Twin turbos... In the coupe it's still loud. Sort of like being inside of a drum. Everyone says its quieter than a NA one!! Earplugs are a real plus. When the blow-off valves open there is a loud HISS :D Scott

·
Premium Member
18,144 Posts
My '97 Harley big twin has a turbo and a straight pipe with a megaphone. The sound is maybe a little quieter in volume, but it's a lot softer. Hard to describe exactly. I've never registered the dB, but it certainly sounds about the same volume or a little less than others. But when I get on it, it doesn't have that harsh rap to it that other bikes do. During steady engine speeds, I can usually hear other engines over mine. And I'm making nearly twice what they are for hp and torque.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,110 Posts
Turbos definetly lower the sound levels. I have run an identical motor non-turbo and turbo. When the turbo was added the noise was cut I would say at least 30% or so. This was on a car with full exhaust. I think on a car with large side pipes like these the car will still be loud but the exhaust sound will definetly be less. You will have a host of other beautiful sounds though...turbo spooling sounds, and my personal favorite...BLOW OFF valve sounds!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I can just think how much fun a turbocharged 302 would be. My daily is a Moded Tubro Jetta w about 225hp and 280tq out of a 1.8L !! now a 5.0L with sidepipes AHHHHH awsome. I would have a hard time to build one without a turbo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts