Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Have Kit Will Build
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody running nitrous - I'm thinking about 50hp boost? I'd also look at turbo or supercharger but cost seems a bit high. Are there superchargers/turbos under 1K? Also thinking of dropping gear to 3.27 or 3.08. My first build - not my first muscle car. Never used nitrous before. New Ford Racing 302 'E' cam/carb. I am looking into options for Phase II. If there is a Phase II - after build is complete and car actually runs, hopefully in 3 or 4 wks, I am researching how to get HP above 400 for under 1K. My goal when I started was 400-450 engine hp. I don't want to tear into my new motor so I am looking at add-ons and nitrous seems easiest. Maybe I will never even use it but it adds some bling effect and it's there if I want it. Thanks!!

[ September 04, 2007, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: Millster ]

·
8,269 Posts
Nitrous. With cars like these you can really only use the extra power very occasionally and you probably only really need the extra power for drag strip bragging rights. Of course it's nice to have the power on demand at all times which you would have with a blower or turbos but you won't be able to do that for less than $1K. I keep thinking about adding a small shot of nitrous to my blown set up :D

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
Unless you are planning on blowing up your motor, stay away from NOX...Only used at full throttle, and most engines can't handle it....
I have a supercharger , and like it, but my next car (if there is one), will have turbos...There is a little lag, but you don't use power to run them, and they give a real kick in the pants....
Just look at the GM 6cyl turbocharged cars,of the 80's and you can see that even a heavy car can get serious off-the-line help from a turbocharger.
If you can't afford to spend the money on that, then put it in headwork, intake, and maybe an underdrive pulley set, along with good headers...
That will give you plenty of extra stuff for the money.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Since you have'nt driven the car yet,might want to hold with any power adders. Not sure what your other muscle cars were but these can be a handfull till you get a feel for them.
Nitrous is fun but unforgiving if your tune is off. Make sure the fuel system is up to the increased demands when adding nitrous and use a wide band to know for sure carb is safely jetted.
May not be needed if restricting your self to only a 50 shot. A good ignition controller to help with timeing is a good investment.
For the goal of $1000.00 bucks. maybe go a little more for head and cam over the Ford piece's. This will give the wanted power all the time,not just when running juice.

·
Charter Member
6,161 Posts
nitrous is very misunderstood. One, the engine doesnt blow up if installed/used correctly. Two, it is not cheap power. If you buy all the required hardware to have a safe nitrous motor, a SC doesnt seem so expensive. You need a good high quality nitrous system ($400-$1000), timing retard box ($200), a series of computer/toggle activation/no activation switches ($200-$300, WOT, RPM range, shifter switch), bottle purge and warmer ($250), adequate fuel system (maybe $150), the right temp plugs ($20). I had 100, 150, and 200 hp shot on my old motor. Incredible at the dragstrip (0-100 in 7.2 sec with basically a stock 302 and 200hp shot). I think that is all it's good for, dragracing. Everything has to be just right before use, especially the bottle pressure.

·
Going nowhere fast.
19,728 Posts
Originally posted by Mr. Barry:
Unless you are planning on blowing up your motor, stay away from NOX...Only used at full throttle, and most engines can't handle it....
I have a supercharger , and like it, but my next car (if there is one), will have turbos...There is a little lag, but you don't use power to run them, and they give a real kick in the pants....
Just look at the GM 6cyl turbocharged cars,of the 80's and you can see that even a heavy car can get serious off-the-line help from a turbocharger.
If you can't afford to spend the money on that, then put it in headwork, intake, and maybe an underdrive pulley set, along with good headers...
That will give you plenty of extra stuff for the money.
Do tell why craming more air in an engine (at a higher temperature) is less harmful than adding an oxidizer (at a lower temperature)?

Mike

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Because you won't melt plugs, have a nitrous backfire, or detonate and blow head gaskets or destroy your motor as easily with a naturally aspirated setup as you can with NOS.

NOS is a drag racing power adder in my opinion, not a street performance item, even though plenty of people use it on the street.

·
Going nowhere fast.
19,728 Posts
Originally posted by Wurf:
Because you won't melt plugs, have a nitrous backfire, or detonate and blow head gaskets or destroy your motor as easily with a naturally aspirated setup as you can with NOS.

NOS is a drag racing power adder in my opinion, not a street performance item, even though plenty of people use it on the street.
Please read the question. Mr. Barry was not talking about nitrous vs. naturally aspirated.

Mike

·
Charter Member
6,161 Posts
Read my post above about nitrous. Anytime you add a "power adder" there is a risk of melting plugs and pistons, detonation, blown head gaskets etc. I have had a nitrous engine and now a SC engine - its the same deal.

NA is always the safe way to go.

I agree with Wurf, nitrous is great for drag racing. The bottle pressure is the catch. It has to be right. If its hot outside, you'll have to purge it before use. If its cooler outside than you need turn the bottle heater on. Its a pain in the ass. You cant just hit a button whenever you want like in the movie fast and furious:)

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I'd consider your power adder options for phase 2 but not commit until some phase 1 driving time. Nitrous at 50HP is not worth the expense. I started with 75 then quickly left the 100's installed. Nitrous is a PIA. I do not believe it is unsafe at 100HP with 93 octane, 4 degrees timing out on a well maintained motor. I know guys with blowers on hyper pistoned 9.5:1 crate motors at 10lbs boost, who never look at spark plugs . I believe they may be at high risk. I seldom use the nitrous so it is less of a hassle with bottle refills. I may go through 5/6 full bottles per season. I have 2 bottles which does make swapping much easier. Starting over I'd not plan my car around nitrous for reasons stated here and above. Mine was an after thought. With your set up I'd consider starting a fund for the SC or better yet turbos . After a season if you're searching for more power the best bang for the buck might be a $400 355 rear gear swap. Meanwhile the big SC or turbo fund is in the works.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts