Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
12,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to put my porterfield pads on the rear last nite. I have the 87 turbo coupe rear with the disc brakes. I know you are supposed to screw the piston back into the caliper. I could not do it. I had the caliper in my hand with a spanner that matched the slotts. Could not get it too budge.

Question 1: which direction do you turn these to screw them back in?

Question 2: is there anything you gotta do to make them release. ( there was no tension on the brake cable.)

Question 3: Am i going to have to remove them and put them in a vice? AND use the ARMSTRONG method.

I replaced the pads on a subaru once did not have this big a problem.

Thanks in advance, (Advance, NC)

earl

[ May 09, 2002, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: CobraEarl ]

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
They do screw in and they can be a real PITA. Keep trying to use the right tool. Try to bring them out first and then back in. If all else fails get them started in with a pair of channel locks and then use the right tool to finish them off. Hope this helps. Cheers Richard.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,575 Posts
Tip for you. Hold the e-brake lever in the compressed position and then turn the piston in a clockwise rotation. This will release the tension on the piston to allow it to turn in the caliper. Be sure to line up the slot with the tab on the pad before installing them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts