Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the readings should be tuning one of these cars with a four gas
analizer. I've got the analizer but no sheet telling what it should read and what is rich or
lean. I guess that is what you get for getting a real good deal on a old machine. Any
help as what is what ????????????
Bob the deer hunter :confused:

·
Junior Charter Member
3,485 Posts
It's pretty difficult to get a real firm idea of the air/fuel ratio with a gas analyzer - but it you can get a ballpark guess if you have enough experience with the machine.

Usually you would use a AFR meter for this, with a wideband O2 sensor to get a good reading. Shops that operate a chassis dyno will usually have one of these on hand that can be rented on the dyno.

John

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a afr meter on the cobra but several of my friends want to be able to tune there cars and they don't want to install a O2 sensor on there cars so this machine was the answer if I can find some guide lines to follow.
Bob the deer hunter :confused:

·
FFCobra Craftsman
784 Posts
Standard Afr meters are garbage to tune by.You need to use a heated wide band HEGO or UEGO (NTK) to accurately tune any vehicle. Gas analyser's especially tail pipe are way to slow and have poor resolution.

Phil

·
FFCobra Craftsman
784 Posts
Also,

if their using the standard J pipes they have 02 sensor bungs in them. So, Im not sure how much $$ the gas analyser is but a good wide band made by autronics can be had for about $1500. You can use it to tune by and then plug the sensor hole. Have a few buddies go in on it together and share it not a full time requirement to use one by any means.

Phil

·
mk 1.5 original
562 Posts
you can set your idle mixture settings with that machine real easy. but loaded adjustments would require a dyno and still would not be as accurate as a wideband sensor the dyno shop probably already has. for no cat. and a mild camshaft I would expect to see no more than 1.5% - 1.8% co and hc below 500 ppm for idle readings with everything hot and operating temp.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Motorheadcrm, thank you that is what I really need to see is some numbers. that will go along way in telling what is what. My car is rich on idle and I know it so I couldn't go by my numbers to try and set up other cars.
Bob the deer hunter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.