Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this question on the tech forum with no result so; the spacers that come with the ffr tubular front lowers, what are they for? Are they for the too long rear bolts? If so, would it not be better to just grind some off the end of the bolt?

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
By spacers, I take it you are refering to the large washers.

There is usually a few millimeters to take up in the mounting tabs, slip a washer in and its snug.

The other spacers are for mounting the shocks.

·
Junior Charter Member
615 Posts
I didn't need them for inside the mounting tabs, so I used them for the too long rear bolts. The ends of the bolts would hit the frame without them.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I think most people shorten up the bolts with a grinder. When I did mine the conventional wisdom was that the large washers were used on the rear mount of the arm, inside the mounts on the frame. If you install your lower control arm and snug down the front mount there will be a small gap between the arm and the rearmost frame mount. I used the large washers to fill that gap.

I think a search will reveal a number of threads on this topic in the 2006 and 2005 archive.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
The reason for the spacers(large washers) is to keep the ears on the mount from pulling closed causing the arms to pivot on the bushings instead of the inner inserts.They go between control arm and mounting perch/ear. Mine were slightly too thick and I supstituted thinner ones. Still need to trim one of the bolts down so not tto close to frame when tight. Check movement of the control arms when tightened to be sure they move freely before moving onto shock install.

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
65 Posts
are your talking about the 1/4 inc spacer (2) or the 4 large washer? if you are talking about the spacers then they are for the ball joints on 94 and up donor parts, they aren't used on the 87-93 donor. The 4 large washers are used on the back lower mount. One goes on the bolt head to space back the bolt and the other one goes between the tab and a-arm on back mount. It's to take up the space between the arm and tab. I know this cause i had this same question yesterday and now I have the answer.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Jetski. It is the 1/4 inch spacers that had me guessing. I do have the brakes r us kit so that makes a lot of sense. Hope to come your way next spring/summer to spend a few weeks.

·
BLUE.II
2,058 Posts
I had to grind a 1/8 inch or so off of each bolt so it would not hit the frame. Then I used one washer only on the forward side "for the bearing surface for the nut. "no spacers"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts