Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
test fitting the FFr LCA's and I have a large gap between the bushing and the mounting tabs on the frame rail. Do I have to shim this gap or do I just crank down on the bolt to bring the tabs together. The gap is about 1/8 on one side and 3/8 on the other?

Cheers

Andrew

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Mine fit perfectly with the washers on either side of the rear bushings, and no washers in the front bracket.

·
Charter Member
625 Posts
Mine fit perfectly with no washers front or back. Of course, I'm a little nervous now because I'm also wondering if I need to spread them apart to add a couple of washers. The only advantage I see of the washers is minimizing contact against the sides during movement.

Hank J.

·
Senior Charter Member
186 Posts
Are the washers that are provided to be used strictly as shims if needed? My LCA's fit perfectly between the brackets without the washers but I want to make sure they are not a mandatory piece(if not used, is friction between tab and LCA bushing a concern?).

Thanks,
Les

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Please do a few searches on lower control arm mounting. This has been discussed at great length, and if you do it incorrctly your suspension will not work well. There are probably 15 or 20 threads in the 2003 and 2003 archives.

·
Professional Internet Browser
9,945 Posts
The front arm should have no bushings in it, but the back arm should because the rear arm of the mustang lower control arm is .100 thicker than the front. One washer in the back of the rear bushing makes up the difference.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,053 Posts
I got my tubulars from Mike Forte,
and they fit perfect with out shims..

·
Professional Internet Browser
9,945 Posts
Are the fortes arms left-right specific, if not, there is not way they fit right without shims. The FFR arms are not left-right specific, and because the front and rear control arm mounting ear width is different, they have to use one spacer on the rear ear.

·
Senior Charter Member
186 Posts
I spoke with FFR and they told me to add 1 washer on the rear mount between the bushing and the tab and add another washer between the bolt and the tab on the rear mount because the bolt will hit the frame otherwise. So I followed that advice, however, I still have a washer sized space between the bushing and the tab, here is a picture:

Should I go ahead and add a second washer between the other bushing and tab?

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Yes, add another washer or even 2. It's very important that the ears remain parallel after tightening the bolts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.