Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready (thinking about) replacing the donor stock Ford arms on my MkII, and a friend has offered me a set of brand new UPR control arms for "cheap".

Any reason to not use or watch-out in using these?

I know of the FFR and Levy offerings. A search on this site turned up nothing on UPR and say QA1.

Link to UPR arms: 79-93 Mustang Chrome Moly A Arms No Sway Bar Mount

·
Registered
882 Posts
They do not have the mounting point for the coil over.

Norm

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bingo - should have seen that! Too good to be true!

Thanks, Norm

·
Premium Member
17,840 Posts
Unless you're racing, there's really no need to "upgrade" to tubular control arms. No advantage, and the poly bushings will need more maintenance.

But, if you install rod ends instead of bushings, you'll feel a remarkable improvement in ride quality.

·
Premium Member
17,840 Posts
Where can you find LCA with rodend?
Mike Forte was selling some at one time. But I made my own. Not to difficult if you can weld.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Bob - i read your thread re: rod ends vs. bushings - but is hard for me to consider buying a new pair (500$) and then immediately modifying them.

Should I maybe consider the UPR set (really cheap) and mod them for the rod ends and the coil-over??

Don't want to overthink this - but sooner or later the stock ones will need maintenance - might as well be sooner??????????

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I bought my FF LCA's in the classified section a couple of years ago. They were brand new and I think I paid $150-$200.......

·
Registered
344 Posts
another option to consider, just buy the FFR control arms. They are guaranteed to fit with no mods or welding.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought my FF LCA's in the classified section a couple of years ago. They were brand new and I think I paid $150-$200.......
FFR arms list for $499!!

·
Premium Member
17,840 Posts
Should I maybe consider the UPR set (really cheap) and mod them for the rod ends and the coil-over??

Don't want to overthink this - but sooner or later the stock ones will need maintenance - might as well be sooner??????????
Don't do that! The UPR arms are not built for coil overs. That means they're not strong enough to take the whole weight of the car.

Yes, the stock ones will eventually need maintenance. On a fox body Mustang that weighs about 1/2 a tone more, that's around 70-100K miles. When your Cobra gets around 70K miles, then you can just buy new arms and swap them out.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got it - and understand 100%! Will put that $$ somewhere else!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
FFR arms list for $499!!
That's why I waited for a pair to come up for sale in the classified section and got them for less than half price!

·
Junior Charter Member
423 Posts
front lca's connect to the shock and to a frame point . THE Upper control arm is not connected to coil overs. Am I missing something?

·
Junior Charter Member
1,384 Posts
front lca's connect to the shock and to a frame point . THE Upper control arm is not connected to coil overs. Am I missing something?
Yep, OP is asking about LCA's

·
Registered
882 Posts
jsf74, the UPR coilovers mount on the existing Mustang strut not onto the lower control arm. Not the same set up as a roadster.

Norm

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In case anybody else is contemplating this swap - FFR has reduced the price of their LCA package.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts