1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
I use a canvas tool bag with a bungee cord wrapped around it so the contents don't clang every time I hit a bump.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Mines a soft canvas type bag with assorted pockets in it. I keep it tied to the roll bar with bingee cords. Want to add a small 12 volt air pump and tire plug kit next. Other get a flat option would be carry a compact spare and a chain. Once the spare is changed. Chain the wife to a tree so full size tire can be transported and repaired then return for wife.

·
Premium Member
2,588 Posts
I use a canvas bicycle bag, about the same size as the battery, held in place by some 1 x 1 aluminum angle, riveted to a corner of the trunk floor. The weight of the bag keeps it from bouncing above the angle. No problems.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
6,103 Posts
Just a thought - am still in planning, not building yet - Is there room to put 2 battery boxes (like FFMetal's) in side by side? That would give you a nice little tool storage compartment. Might also be something that you could retro fit - especially those that have put their battery up front.

·
Charter Member
1,494 Posts
For tools, I bought a set from Sears that came in a folding case. I placed velcro on the case so it sticks to the trunk carpet. Mike

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
Got a nice set of name brand tools from Costco. 156 pieces, both SAE and metric, in a plactic folding case that is apoprox 14 x 16 x 2 inches. Glued carpet to the back side so it doesn't slide and also have a strap to hold it down during acceleration. Pete

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by KC Wildcat:
Just a thought - am still in planning, not building yet - Is there room to put 2 battery boxes (like FFMetal's) in side by side? That would give you a nice little tool storage compartment. Might also be something that you could retro fit - especially those that have put their battery up front.
Rich, that would have been an outstanding idea. I think you should look into it. Too late for me. Only issue is that you will have to cover the holes that are in the batt box.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
6,103 Posts
John - If it will fit, perhaps Linwood could offer one without the holes. Seems like that would save him a step.

Linwood - if you are listening maybe you should look into offering something like this. Again, I don't have and FFR YET!, so I can not speak to how it would fit - especially with different rear suspensions, but mayby that would only be a matter of making it a few inches shallower. Could also consider the storage bins - I think DWC offered it (2 or 3 triangluar shaped openings)

It is Never too late - actually just in time for planning for next winter's mods!

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Location: I store all of my tools in a compartment under a false floor covered with carpet. I made this compartment myself but Dark Water Customs or Cobra Earl make similar under-trunk storage boxes.

·
Over Engineerer
2,921 Posts
Originally posted by KC Wildcat:
If you have the FFR 3 link suspension, there's not enough room for 2 full sized battery boxes. The box on the passengers side needs to have an angled (not very practical) or stepped bottom to avoid the suspension components. Here's mine (built before FFMetal came around).
battery to the left, storage to the right:

flush lids with dzus fasteners:

lids removed, not much space, but every bit helps:

The last picture shows the limitations imposed by the 3 link suspension. I thought I had enough clearance under the stepped storage box, but the first bump I hit resulted in the banana bracket hitting the bottom of the box. I'll get around to fixing it one of these days,

·
FFCobra Craftsman
6,103 Posts
Nice work Fred. That is the kind of thing I was talking about. I plan to build an IRS car - not sure if that will limit things or not. While I will never challenge the Traveler, mine will not be a trailer queen. I want to squeeze in as much usable space as possible.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,345 Posts
There is room on both sides of the battery box (with 3 link at least) for addtional storage.

I took the springs off the coilovers and compressed the rear suspension as far as possible to check clearance and you can fit a 7" x 7" x 11" deep box to the left of the battery box and a 5" x 7" x 9" deep box to the right. These are enclosed boxes leaving an inch or so on either side of battery box for it's air holes.

There is also enough room above the gas tank to fit a 24" x 17 1/2" x 4 1/2" deep box (conservatively). I plan to leave the bracing in place with the open box below.

And if you really want to get serious, there is room for a shallow box below the upper deck in the trunk area.

I don't know about IRS cars but since the center section is fixed, I bet there is space for something.

The way I see it, every square inch will be needed for something if you ever plan to take it on the highway.

HTH

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, definitely lack of planning on my part. I wonder how feasible it would be to try my aim with a jig saw around the trunk braces now that the trunk floor is in.

I must be able to mod the Darkwater box to get it in there on top of the gas tank even though I'm doing things in the wrong order.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
John
When we get together on Saturday take a look at what I did in the trunk of my car. I think it could be done on a finished car but you would have to drop the gas tank.
David W

·
Chief Cook and Bottlewasher
1,396 Posts
Here's what I did. Got a friend to bend up some metal and went to town. It ain't a work of art, but it should work. Retrofit model would be better on the inside of the cross tubes, I think. I wanted a little more room. Turned out to be a huge pain to do it that way.

Steve

1 - 20 of 20 Posts