Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Trunk Storage Area

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Mark Reynolds 
#1 ·
I plan to put a rear partition in the upper trunk area with access from the cockpit between the seats. I want the partition to run the entire width of the trunk. If i fabricate the the partition to follow the contour and height of the rear hoop in the trunk will that be OK and not interfere with the body when it is set in place?

#2 ·
That will work fine - lay a straight edge on the rear bulk head aluminum and the trunk hoop and make sure it doesn't sit above that, and you should be fine.

#3 ·
Cockpit Accessable Storage

342Stroker

Here is what I have done. Bear in mind that I haven't yet finished so I don't have a better image of the final product.

Regards, Rick.

#6 ·
CRZN 427, I was thinking/planning something similar.
Did you remove the straight bar in the rear bulkhead? (if I'me seeing it correctly, are you planning to mount the shoulder belts to the upper arched cross bar?

#9 ·
Here's mine - I'm using a full width roll bar, so there are no bar mounts visible. Also if you are using highback seats, it's barely visible, but it's great for stowing coats and stuff like that.

#12 ·
#11 ·
Storage Area

MPTech,

I removed the straight bar that went across the area and replaced it with a curved one. I also added another curved one so the vertical wall at the front of the trunk area has something to attach to.

Yes I am going to attach the upper harness to the added curved bar. I also added some reinforcement to carry any heavy loads back into the main chassis since I don't think the curved bar would take much force by itself.

If I need the shoulder harness to keep me from lurching forward, should the worst happen, I wanted the mount points to be somewhat restrained.

I will have a full width roll bar as well.

There was a mention of running the carpet up to the body for a seal in that area.

FWIW - I plan on having an inner liner on the under side of the curved structure so the entire cockpit (including the storage area) is protected from the elements. When I put on one of my Tops I should be as isolated from the environment as in any production convertible. Probably a lot of over-kill but it is what I want to do (ie., I will also have a filter on the air inlet for the heat-A/C Unit).

Regards, Rick.

#13 ·
Cockpit Storage Cubby Kit from Breeze

Breeze now has available a kit to do a version of what is being discussed here.

We cut our hole before installing the rear cockpit aluminum using a drill press and a circle cutter to cut two holes, and then connected them with a jig saw. The hole is positioned to leave a lip on the front edge to keep items from sliding out under braking.

Here is the link to the kit on our website:
http://www.breezeautomotive.com/details.php?prod_id=861#

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.