Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Actual builder now!
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi: Trying to decide how to mount Finish Line's click style extending trunk support in my Mk IV roadster. Some old threads on here do not seem to have their pics anymore. Anybody have pics of theirs installed?
I am thinking I may need to mount the one end on the upper trunk floor.

Thanks

Steve

·
Senior Charter Member
1,836 Posts
I don't have any pics handy but I made a bracket that attached to the frame hoop that goes from side to side just in front of the forward trunk opening. Bolted one end to that and the other to the under side of the lid. This way it keeps the lower end up out of the way for putting things in the trunk. Hope this makes sense. I'm sure some will come up with pics.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts

·
Actual builder now!
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have any pics handy but I made a bracket that attached to the frame hoop that goes from side to side just in front of the forward trunk opening. Bolted one end to that and the other to the under side of the lid. This way it keeps the lower end up out of the way for putting things in the trunk. Hope this makes sense. I'm sure some will come up with pics.

Hi Dave: I have been trying to figure out how to attach a bracket to that hoop in the finished car. Did you use a 90 degree drill and rivet it to the bottom of that hoop ? Pics of that would be helpful.

·
Actual builder now!
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here’s a link to the Factory Five forum. Post 21 explains how I did mine. Show me your trunk prop rods!

HTH

Norm

Questions Norm: So the lower end bracket is just attached with a screw or bolt through the narrow bit of fibreglass that the seal attaches to? Two bolts? Doesn't interfere with the bulb seal?
The reinforced bar for the upper bracket: Di you fish that through the little triangular opening in the middle of the lid?

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The bulb seal went on first then the lower bracket. I used one bolt and one push switch for the trunk light to mount it. Yes, the reinforcing plate for the lid was fished through from the triangular opening with a piece of wire.

HTH
Norm

·
Actual builder now!
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bulb seal went on first then the lower bracket. I used one bolt and one push switch for the trunk light to mount it. Yes, the reinforcing plate for the lid was fished through from the triangular opening with a piece of wire.

HTH
Norm
Thanks. There really isn't much space on the trunk lip once the bulb seal is on there. Pretty tight.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The mounting bolts go some of the bulb seal mounting flange with their tops about half hidden by the bulb when looking from the top. I expanded the pictures from the linked thread. Maybe this will help.

Norm

Attachments

·
Senior Charter Member
1,836 Posts
Hey Steve, Honestly I don't remember exactly how I mounted it, my 73 year old brain doesn't work quite as well as it used to. LOL I'll try to get a look at it and a pic in the next couple of days. I know its bolted to the hoop squared tube so I must have drilled holes some how.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,836 Posts
I got a look at the prop rod today and took a couple of pics but unfortunately I'm having trouble with getting them to transfer. Probably that old brain thing again. Anyway I welded up a piece of flat stock and a couple pieces of 3/4 square tube. The flat lays against the bottom of the hoop with two 1/4" sheet metal screws holding it on, the tube sticks down a little below the trunk opening and has the end of the rod screwed to it. It does hang down farther than I remembered so all in all I would say the way Norm did it is better and less obstructive.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,836 Posts
I got a look at the prop rod today and took a couple of pics but unfortunately I'm having trouble with getting them to transfer. Probably that old brain thing again. Anyway I welded up a piece of flat stock and a couple pieces of 3/4 square tube. The flat lays against the bottom of the hoop with two 1/4" sheet metal screws holding it on, the tube sticks down a little below the trunk opening and has the end of the rod screwed to it. It does hang down farther than I remembered so all in all I would say the way Norm did it is better and less obstructive.

·
Actual builder now!
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. Appreciate the effort. I know all about the old brain thing. Still giving it some thought. Might be a combination of the 2 methods.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts