Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this looks good. I could not get the fuel tank strap off properly. I could have if I really need too but it would not been very easy to put back. If I ever need to I can get it done. So I just bent the tabs I still need to clean that up.

I threaded the liscence plate wire through a piece of the frame to keep it out of the way of the panels.

I personally do not feel as though I need any space in the trunk so I left it Maybe one day I will change my mind.

I'm always careful but today the Cobra finally bit me. These aluminum panels are no joke. 7 stitches.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,739 Posts
When I installed most of my panels, I was taking Coumadin. That's when I learned to wear mechanics gloves for this sort of thing.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I installed most of my panels, I was taking Coumadin. That's when I learned to wear mechanics gloves for this sort of thing.[/QUOTE

My son used my gloves for weeding. I could not find them. I had gloves on with no fingers. Lol no good. Always gloves always safety glasses. This time just the wrong kind.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Panel Order

Looking great!!!

Just an FYI

Make sure to fasten the upper trunk floor before you permanently install the rear cockpit bulkhead. You will not be able to properly fasten the front of the upper trunk floor otherwise.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking great!!!

Just an FYI

Make sure to fasten the upper trunk floor before you permanently install the rear cockpit bulkhead. You will not be able to properly fasten the front of the upper trunk floor otherwise.
Thank you. Yup I saw that. Thank you

·
Registered
438 Posts
Looking great!!!

Just an FYI

Yeah, figured that out the hard way. Was able to make it work without pulling the cockpit bulkhead, but it would have been way easier without it in the way.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Just a suggestion, but you are at a stage where you could still install additional storage above the gas tank. These trunks are so space limited, anything you can recover is worth the effort IMO. At the time I built mine, I had to come up with my own design. I recovered 5 inches of depth across almost 2/3 of the distance across the lower level.

I believe that Russ Thompson has a trunk storage box kit available, just not shown on his website. Something to consider before you finish up the trunk floor.

RT's Custom Cobra Car Parts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Trunk

I did this.

Just a suggestion, but you are at a stage where you could still install additional storage above the gas tank. These trunks are so space limited, anything you can recover is worth the effort IMO. At the time I built mine, I had to come up with my own design. I recovered 5 inches of depth across almost 2/3 of the distance across the lower level.

I believe that Russ Thompson has a trunk storage box kit available, just not shown on his website. Something to consider before you finish up the trunk floor.

RT's Custom Cobra Car Parts

Attachments

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Maybe one day. Right now I don't plan I doing anything that requires a trunk.

I have a normal size trunk on my mustang and I rearlly use it.

Pretty awesome cool mod with the battery!

Jason

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yikes. I sliced my knuckle open installing by front battery box. Superglued it closed. I want to make at shirt for my garage calling it "Bloody knuckles garage, where timelines and budgets don't exist"

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you haven’t attached the sides of the tunnel covers, put in the bolts for the inner seat belts first. That’s one of the gotcha moments that can cause a headache by the head banging of frustration. There is no room for the nut. The bolthead is thin enough, but getting it in is impossible once the tunnel sides are in.

·
Registered
438 Posts
If you haven’t attached the sides of the tunnel covers, put in the bolts for the inner seat belts first. That’s one of the gotcha moments that can cause a headache by the head banging of frustration. There is no room for the nut. The bolthead is thin enough, but getting it in is impossible once the tunnel sides are in.
Another option on that end that I read from Jeff and others is to drill a 1/2" hole through the tunnel aluminum using the inner belt bracket as a guide. Then run the bolt and washer through the drilled hole from inside the tunnel, securing with the nut inside the car. Tightening down the nut will collapse the aluminum to the bracket and the washer/bolt seal the hole against water intrusion.

·
Registered
386 Posts
another victim

Another option on that end that I read from Jeff and others is to drill a 1/2" hole through the tunnel aluminum using the inner belt bracket as a guide. Then run the bolt and washer through the drilled hole from inside the tunnel, securing with the nut inside the car. Tightening down the nut will collapse the aluminum to the bracket and the washer/bolt seal the hole against water intrusion.
shoot...i guess i'm in the same boat. thanks for the insight on how to remedy this without removing the panel.

·
Registered
309 Posts
You could always drill 1 1/4" holes to place the seat belt bolts and then fill the hole with the Ron Francis grommets. I did it this way to route my seat heater wires inside the tunnel. They come into the cockpit at the exact place where they won't get damaged. Many ways to address the issue.

Scott

·
Snake Farmer
10,234 Posts
Yeah.. the kit doesn't come supplied with blood, sweat, and tears..The builder has to provide them..
Least you've got the blood part over with now.. :001_tongue:

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
shoot...i guess i'm in the same boat. thanks for the insight on how to remedy this without removing the panel.
That's also how the instruction manual says to do it. :smile2: Works fine.

·
Registered
438 Posts
That's also how the instruction manual says to do it. /forums/images/FFCars_2016/smilies/tango_face_smile.png Works fine.
Wait...there's an instruction book?!? 😮

1 - 17 of 17 Posts