Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter is here, parked the monster. Always toyed with the idea of making a recessed area for the license plate, just about 1" deep, but nice, with strip LED lighting hidden inside the lip. Has anyone done something similar?

Any other trunk lid mods? Recessed third stop light? Custom latch?

Looking for an older MKII trunk lid, prefer still gel-coat, so I can try my ideas out.

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,739 Posts
A frenched / recessed license plate could look cool, if done right. I couldn't find any pics on google, but there are definitely pre-made boxes you could bond in; eBay and other sites: Frenched License Plate Box

·
Senior Charter Member
6,680 Posts
I did a recessed license plate with LED illumination.

If I cold figure how to access the photo gallery on the new site I would post a picture.

HOW CAN I ACCESS AND POST PHOTOS ON THE NEW SITE????

Regards, Rick.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rick - Or if we can figure out a PM, i can get you my e-mail

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,255 Posts

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, lets get this thread back on target.

I have a possible trunk lid from a MK3. is it compatible with a MKII body? Hinges and hardware will be from mine, and also looking at a custom latch.

Here is a suggested plate box :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16ga-Steel-License-Plate-Box-Frenched-Recessed-Hot-Rod-Minitruck-Custom/302187362416?hash=item465bc53870:g:uyAAAOSwvUlWqRFd

But, I do not like the steel construction, so may make my own from aluminum.

I have the strip LED lights, illumination done.

Other ideas?

Has anyone else done a custom latch?

·
Senior Charter Member
6,680 Posts
Rick - Or if we can figure out a PM, i can get you my e-mail
Cheapsk8,

I got your e Mail and sent a few pictures back to you. Let me know it they help, or if I can add anything to the discussion.

Regards, Rick.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, so FFR says II and 3 lids are the same size, so that is settled. Just different construction.

Now to focus on the recessed box. Many kits on e-bay, basically a folded weld-in steel box, I would have to trim and come up with a mounting method. Looking for either aluminum or fiberglass/plastic.

·
Senior Charter Member
6,680 Posts
OK, so FFR says II and 3 lids are the same size, so that is settled. Just different construction.

Now to focus on the recessed box. Many kits on e-bay, basically a folded weld-in steel box, I would have to trim and come up with a mounting method. Looking for either aluminum or fiberglass/plastic.
If I remember correctly (mine is a MK-II with the aluminum inner liner), I made my recess by first cutting the appropriate size hole in the outer fiberglass with a saber saw, adding a "shim" under the saw base to insure the blade cleared the aluminum, and a cut off wheel where there was not enough space for the saw to work.

I then made cardboard side and bottom fill pieces, coated the cardboard and the exposed aluminum with resin mixed with fine sawdust. It might take a couple applications of the resin/sawdust mixture to get a decent surface. The viscosity of the mixture can be adjusted by the amount of sawdust added so it acts more like a paste than a thick liquid, it also helps with shaping the finish to cut down on sanding. The first application needs to be fluid enough to soak into the cardboard.

I then made a fill piece for the upper part of the opening to incorporate LED illumination. I made mine with the same cardboard and resin method but added angle clips to mount it to the aluminum trunk liner for future access to the light. I ran the wires inside the void to one of the hinge locations and drilled a small hole, used a grommet, and zip tied the wires to the hinge, then routed the wires around the trunk opening to the light circuit.

I also made two vertical flat mounts for the 'license plate attaching hardware' to connect into. The plate mount, and light mount clips, are attached to the aluminum trunk liner with #10 hardware, with button heads on the inside of the trunk to keep from snagging on anything. I threaded the light mount clips because nuts would not be accessible in the void space.

Regards, Rick.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Back to looking at this again. Have a lead on a trunk lid, MkIII.

My next question is a bit broader, since cutting open a hole will reach near the light mount/hump, has anyone removed the light hump, modified it, or done anything to the trunk lid in that area? Since I will be supplying light with strip LED's inside the recessed box, I do not need the light. I know it is an iconic part of the rear design, but thinking about making the trunk smooth....

If anyone has removed the hump, please post pics!

·
Senior Charter Member
6,680 Posts
A long time ago in a different Forum, there was one who cut a "foot ball" sized hole in the trunk around the area you mention. He filled the hole with fiberglass Matt and resin shaping it as close as possible to the desired shape. When he sanded it down the surface looked like the original style trunk.

Regards.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a teaser, project is well under way!

To come: Hidden latch, surround LED Lighting, something with the "hump"......

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I promise to not get anywhere as crazy as Hoofa!!!!

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Going to work this weekend on making the final fiberglass sheet box. Also have a Bear Claw trunk latch to mount, along with the hidden lever.

Will look into reducing the "light hump", but not sure how much.

·
Senior Charter Member
6,680 Posts
Chepsk8, I just noticed that my email is written wrong in post #14, there is no "k" in it. You probably figured that out already.

Regards, Rick,

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All good.

The project is moving ahead nicely, once I get it functioning, I'll start a new thread. Looks very good!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts