Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have pictures of their battery box?

I'll probably fab something up this weekend and I can't figure out how to make the top so any pictures would help.

Thanks again.

·
Junior Charter Member
625 Posts
I made a box similar to the FFMetal box. I put small tabs at the end of the box closet to the rear of the car for the top to set on and hinged the top at the other end. It sits flush with the rest of the trunk and with the carpet it's barely noticable. My son has my digital camera so I can't send you any pics.

·
Junior Charter Member
148 Posts
I used a heavy gauge alum and fabricated a box that I dropped through a hole in the trunk floor just behind the axle pig. Used alum angle in the corners and riveted it together to match the rest of the panels. Lid sits flush and has plactic in the inside to avoid shorts across the terminals. No hinges on the lid -- angles drop in the hole and hold it from moving.

·
2,990 Posts
Below are the pictures of the battery box I built. I centered mine but if you are using or are going to use a 3 link suspension you need to move the battery box toward the driver’s side.

·
Premium Member
16,719 Posts
On my battery box I actually cut the forward cross bar and moved it forward an inch to make a larger box and a small cargo box next to it. Be careful if you change your diff cover to a girdle as clearance again becomes an issue. If you make a lid for your box it is a good idea to line it with a rubber mat. Even if you have a battery hold down. If you are using the 4 terminal type battery it also a good idea to line the side of the box where the side terminals are. And make sure you use good grommets for the battery cables going through. Not the cheapo grommets. And make sure it is vented as well. You can't be too safe with all those volts/amps back there. Just my .02.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Charter Member
2,649 Posts
SC,
I fabricated my own box as well. You'll notice from the first photo I mounted one edge of the box on the forward side of the support bar and the other edge on the inside.I had to make a few more steps in making the flat pattern layout but taht gave me a 3/4" wider battery box. Helps getting the battery in and out a bit easier. I also have a 3 link and had to move the box to the left slightly. I used a piano hinge for the cover. TIP, put in the rear roll bar support to make sure you don't move the box too far to the left to prevent the cover corner from hitting the support tube. I carpeted the trunk and the cover is hidden. Here are a few photos.
Hope this gives you some ideas,
Bob Mac
FFR3981

1 - 6 of 6 Posts