Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up the sound deadener the other day so its time to finish up a few things before the body goes on - sound deadener and carpet in the trunk and interior. Sound deadener 0.045"; trunk carpet from crappy tire - a very close match to the FF5 but with less of a pile; Super 77 adhesive - man, I forgot how sticky that stuff is.

It was suggested that I make up some templates to fit before cutting the carpet - good idea. Also, I used black spray-on undercoat in that little indent on both sides of the trunk where the roll bar support goes. Gives it some texture without trying to fit in a piece of carpet. I also did that on the trunk side of the cockpit bulkhead. You can see both in the pictures below.

Before. The plastic access hatch is for the fuel sender. Next time I have to drop the tank I will put one in for the fuel pump. My wife is edging a piece of the carpet for that level in the trunk. So it would be sound deadener, then attached carpet, then removable carpet:

Carpet edging - my wife helped me with this:

Finished:

Now it is on to the interior.

Greg

·
Registered
155 Posts
That does look good!!!!!!!

·
Senior Charter Member
1,413 Posts
Went over for a personal inspection on Sunday. It's all up to code and passed;)
I was also bribed with an adult beverage so we may require further inspections:D
It's looking good Greg.
Dean

·
Super Moderator
29,635 Posts
WOW!! Very professional looking

·
Junior Charter Member
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

The worst part was getting the templates correct. I will save them so if anyone wants them they are welcome to get them. (Mark III - Dean tells me the earlier versions are significantly different)

Greg

·
183 Posts
Excellent job Greg, looks great!

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
Thanks guys.

The worst part was getting the templates correct. I will save them so if anyone wants them they are welcome to get them. (Mark III - Dean tells me the earlier versions are significantly different)

Greg
Where did you get the webbing for the edges?

Looks good Greg.

·
Junior Charter Member
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Carpet Edging

Guys:
Rod - I got it at a custom carpet shop on Boundary around 1st Ave. Don't go and buy any; I have about a mile of the carpet edging/webbing. I bought a whole roll (commercial quantity)very early on in the build thinking I would bind all the edges. Okay, okay ... I was young and impulsive. The carpet place wanted something like $5.00 per foot to place the edging.

It is really easy to do.You sew it from the "finished" (top) side fold it back over and around the edge and then glue (hot glue) to the underside.

If anyone is interested in doing their edges, I am happy to send you some. I might have used about 10' so I have just shy of a mile left. PM me for my mailing address. You can send me a self-addressed envelope and I will put in it the length you think you will need. I will also make up a little drawing that should help you understand the method.

Don't be shy, I really do have a lot.

Regards
Greg

·
Speed-crazed and Confused
2,357 Posts
That looks fantastic!

·
Junior Charter Member
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Carpet edging instructions

The following is how I did the carpet edging. Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards
Greg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.