Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I ran into a bit of a problem with the installation of my trunk lid. It seems to be binding in the middle when you lift the trunk lid up. From previous posts on the forum, it may be a lack of curvature in my deck lid. Any suggestions? I don’t want to spend too much time with mods if this is not a common problem. Do I just call Factory Five up and ask them to send a new deck lid? Thanks for the info ...travis

·
Junior Charter Member
144 Posts
Travis, I had the same problem. I got some 1/8" thick black rubber sheet at the craft store and made a grommet/spacer underneath both sides of the hinge where it mounts to the body and trunk lid. It raised the pivot point enough to eliminate the rub. You don't even notice the spacer on a dark colored car. It looks like it belongs there.

Jon

·
Charter Member
2,649 Posts
Jon's solution is probably the easiest and first option to try, as long as the 1/8" rubber look is acceptable to you and gives you enough clearance.
Probably the next option is to move the hinge pivot point slightly forward. YOu may have to glass in the existing hole in the body and move them forward till the hinge pivot is over the body instead of between the trunk and body.
I can't see you pictures here at work so I'm writing blindly. Depending on the curvature on my car I had to decrease the arc of the body which got a little involved having to fiberglass a bracket to the body and then pull the body down with tsome bolts to the trunk hoop. This worked great, just takes cutting some angle iron brackets and HSFR to glass it in. I can send you pics and process if you need it.
Bob Mac
FFR3981

·
5,470 Posts
Travis, did you look at my trunk on Saturday? I was discussing it with Mike as I had the exact same issue as you. My gap at the front of the trunk is a little wider than the gap at the sides, but not enough that anyone notices unless it's pointed out. I also slotted all the holes that the hinges attach with. This allowed me to change the pivot point of the hinges until I found the right spot. I can open my trunk completely vertical without any contact. I also created rubber gaskets that are between the hinges and the body. This raised the hinges and the pivot point a little, which helps.

·
Cobrafied
1,636 Posts
I moved my hinges forward. It let me have a nice gap, and cleared the body. Dan

·
3,596 Posts
KISS! Keep it simple!!Start at the hinge locations and make the front edge of the trunk slightly concave.With the gaps we run on these cars, it's almost invisible.Got the idea from Karl Gess and it works great. It also eliminates all the extra work and keeps the hinges in the same place w/o the elongated holes

·
Junior Charter Member
148 Posts
The factory hinges are not a normal car design because they do not lift the back of the trunk lid as the lid is raised, creating the need for a larger gap. Also, because the body/trunk curve up between the hinges, it causes a binding point. If you want to keep a tight gap, you need to buy OEM like hinges. There are plenty out there from hot rod parts suppliers. Takes a bit of effort to mount them to the trunk without holes.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Common problem. Need to either run with a wider then normal gap(enlongate holes,trim top edge more) or use a gasket or some type of shim under the hinge on the trunk side of the hinge. Notice how as the trunk opens right to the point it wants to bind. Having the trunk lid spaced away from the hinge makes the gap larger. I made gaskets for hinge. Be aware this problem will be worse once body is painted.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
One other possibility that I don't think was mentioned: If the body has more of an arc than the trunk, thus making it peak in the center compared to the trunk's curvature, you could press down on the body a bit and put a tiny bolt thru the trunk lip on the body and into the 3/4" trunk support tube to flatten the contour of the body.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts