Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,
I don't have a FF car (not yet, later in life) but I am doing a Coyote engine swap into my E36 BMW Coupe. I have been lurking here for a while and you guys seem the most knowledgeable on the controls pack. It was time for first fire yesterday and no go. Not even a sputter. No pulse at any injector or coil. All keep alive and key on power are correct at PCM. I used an engine from a 2011 F150 5.0 so i realize there will be some tuning issues but i cant even get a pulse to inj or coils.

My OBD2 reader says communication error when I try to scan. I tried my scanner on two new Ford vehicles and it works fine. Can you guys communicate with your PCMs? I'm thinking I have a blank PCM. Scanner powers up when it is plugged in.

If you guys can think of anything, throw it my way.

Ill get some more pics today of the swap if anyone is interested. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
First question: Do you have fuel? I assume you have a return style system and regulator?

When you turn the key to engage the pump, is the pump on a moving fuel? And what lights are on and what color is showing when the pump is on, on the PCM?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First question: Do you have fuel? I assume you have a return style system and regulator?

When you turn the key to engage the pump, is the pump on a moving fuel? And what lights are on and what color is showing when the pump is on, on the PCM?
Lots of fuel. Set for 55 psi. The green PCM light and fuel pump light are both on. I get no pulse on injectors or coils.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Lots of fuel. Set for 55 psi. The green PCM light and fuel pump light are both on. I get no pulse on injectors or coils.
So fuel is good. Next step is does the starter engage?

I thought the controls pack has no security system. Are there some that do?
No security to deal with in the Ford Racing controls pack.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Hijack: That is a very cool swap. Please post up some close up pics / details after you get this resolved.

Best of luck with the Coyote start.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So fuel is good. Next step is does the starter engage?

No security to deal with in the Ford Racing controls pack.
Are you guys using the PCM start option? I opted not to which it says to cut and tape off the neutral switch and start request wires. I just want to use what is already there from the 5.0 pushrod I had in there before.

From my ignition yes, the starter is engaging.

·
Mustang Convert
1,282 Posts
I think the neutral safety wire needs to be grounded instead of left open. Would explain why there is no spark. I just looked at the controls pack documentation and it says 8.2 C can be omitted (starter motor request). The clutch position feed is 8.2 D so the way I read it is that it can't be omitted (thus requiring it to be grounded - it's the dark blue/orange wire).

Give it a try, easy experiment...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the neutral safety wire needs to be grounded instead of left open. Would explain why there is no spark. I just looked at the controls pack documentation and it says 8.2 C can be omitted (starter motor request). The clutch position feed is 8.2 D so the way I read it is that it can't be omitted (thus requiring it to be grounded - it's the dark blue/orange wire).

Give it a try, easy experiment...
Yeah pretty sure I did but I'm going to cover all my bases one more time before calling Ford tomorrow.

Hopefully I get out of work in time.

·
15,282 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ford Tech Support thinks the PATS may be enabled on my PCM but he didn't sound confident. They will have it on Tuesday.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Ford Racing's catalog says the computer will create a no start when used in a production Mustang (I know not entirely the case here) and I'm wondering if the F-150 Coyote wiring is different enough to cause an issue. You might need to get a Mustang engine harness for that engine.

I know when I did my Three-Valve swap in my '68 Mustang the '06 engine needed the '07 and up engine harness, as that was what the Control Pack was designed on.

HTH...
Mark

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ford Racing's catalog says the computer will create a no start when used in a production Mustang (I know not entirely the case here) and I'm wondering if the F-150 Coyote wiring is different enough to cause an issue. You might need to get a Mustang engine harness for that engine.

I know when I did my Three-Valve swap in my '68 Mustang the '06 engine needed the '07 and up engine harness, as that was what the Control Pack was designed on.

HTH...
Mark
I have a 2012 GT 5.0 harness I purchased off eBay and compared to the 2011 F-150 and it is the same. Hopefully I can sell it back on eBay. Waiting to make sure everything is good first.

Also, the PCM/production vehicle warning is if someone tried to use the controls pack PCM in a returnless style fuel system. Returnless style fuel systems are generally high pressure (80psi+) verses the 55psi our PCM is calibrated for.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Did you get the control pack from Ford Racing new? Make sure you have a strong 12 volts from the battery. If your using the Ford Racing Control Pack PCM there should be NO PATS issue. If your getting a 'communication error' from your scanner this could indicate a issue with the PCM. As a rule of thumb if the PCM won't communicate with a 'known good' scanner there's other things it won't do as well....

When I do my bench test before shipping out a WireDiet I connect a scanner to the DLC / OBD II connector and with the key 'on' it should 'communicate' with the PCM for a 'NO CODES or one or more Trouble Codes (which usually clear in a donor after the engine runs for awhile).

Your going to have to confirm that your PCM is a 'KNOWN GOOD' PCM. In my opinion until you can get your PCM to communciate with a scanner I wouldn't bother chasing other diagnostic threads.

Art

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you get the control pack from Ford Racing new? Make sure you have a strong 12 volts from the battery. If your using the Ford Racing Control Pack PCM there should be NO PATS issue. If your getting a 'communication error' from your scanner this could indicate a issue with the PCM. As a rule of thumb if the PCM won't communicate with a 'known good' scanner there's other things it won't do as well....

When I do my bench test before shipping out a WireDiet I connect a scanner to the DLC / OBD II connector and with the key 'on' it should 'communicate' with the PCM for a 'NO CODES or one or more Trouble Codes (which usually clear in a donor after the engine runs for awhile).

Your going to have to confirm that your PCM is a 'KNOWN GOOD' PCM. In my opinion until you can get your PCM to communciate with a scanner I wouldn't bother chasing other diagnostic threads.

Art
Yeah that was my thought. It will be at Ford Racing tomorrow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PCM was blank from Ford. They asked if I had put any programmers on it, which I have not. Next day aired it back to me. Fired up and idled pretty well first try. Didn't leave it running for more than a few seconds since I still have to put the radiator on. Should have that on today on have a video to post. Thanks for all the replies!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts