Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my engine this weekened without too much hassle except for my Energy Suspension engine mounts. I bolted the engine mounts to the engine very loosely so I could adjust but still had a lot of trouble getting the little pin on the mount to drop into the hole on the drivers side mounting bracket. It is soooo close but it just won't go in. Just a little too high. The passenger side is in but at the very top of the slot for that pin which doesn't leave me any room for adjustment. I've tried just about everything I could think of to get it lined up but haven't had any luck. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Have heard of some having the left and right side mounts swaped causeing problems when tring to install. I used the same mounts and motor droped right in with starting the passenger side first,drivers side second.When done the alignment pins were at the top of the motor mount holes. Check to make sure hoist is allowing engine to drop far enough down and not holding it up. Maybe try useing a floot jack under the oil pan rail in passenger side and with motor mount alignment oin in the mount try and raise pass. side to allow drivers side to drop down and in.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Hind Sight,

I am glad to hear that your alignment pins were also at the top of the holes. Sounds like I am close. The motor is completely resting on the mounts at this time. I had even tried shortening the chains on the passenger side of the engine using the hoist to pull up on that side and hopefully cause the driver side to go down and the pin drop in. Unfortunantly the only thing that happened was that the passenger side of the car lifted off the ground.

Thanks

·
Registered
278 Posts
Michael; I am at the exact same point (instaling motor/trans.). I am having the EXACT SAME PROBLEM and you have described it perfectly. I was told to loosen everything up (even the nuts on the mount itself and then try to giggle it in to fit, then tighten everything down. I haven't tried it yet but I would be interested in staying in contact with you to figure this out. If this doesn't work, I'm considering enlarging the pin holes.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Tom,

Sounds good. We will keep this going. Glad I'm not the only one.

Thank You!

·
Junior Charter Member
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tom,

I managed to get them in and lined up tonight! I ended up loosening the all the bolts up again, placed a jack with a piece of 3/4 PVC pipe under the passenger side of the engine where the mount bolts to the block. I raised the engine a little and the went over to the driver side and used a dead blow hammer to tap the the mount down and bingo, it dropped into place. I also ended up using a c-clamp to pull the mount in a little tighter to make sure the pin was far enough through until I tightened up the big nut.

If I can do it, you can too! Good luck!

Thanks for the help with this guys.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Michel,your pic looks exsactly like how mine ended up,right at the top of the holes. Hopefullynot much will need to be done here when time comes to fit pipes. I had to add a washer on both sides of the drivers side mount between engine block and mount for good pipe alignment instead of opening up the slot more.

·
6,332 Posts
Mine were exactly as shown in the pics above. My son and I wrestled with the engine for a long time before reaching the "as good as it's gonna get" stage. Enlarging the hole a little is a clever trick as is using a couple washers between the block and the motor mount.
Frank

·
Junior Charter Member
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds good guys. I'm hoping that my pipes line up and all works out well but we all know how things don't always go as they should. I will keep my fingers crossed. Hopefully others will find this post useful when at this stage since this seems to be a pretty common thing.

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts