Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent most of the day trying to get the IRS pumpkin up and in the coupe. Besides being heavy it doesn't seem like the suggested process (raise differential up through the middle of the cage, sideways and pinion first) works. Working by myself, I used a transmission jack to lift it up. Tried pointing nose to left, right, 45 degrees to right and left. No luck!!!

When I get it up to the top I can not "roll" it over the side braces. The rear end is just too wide. I even cut off a small tab to get a little more wiggle room. Below is a photo that shows how tight the fit is. I'm tempted to pull the rear cover...:sad:

Chris

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I hear you. I installed my alum pumpkin in my roadster and was pretty much convinced it wouldn't go and then it did. Its a B!

·
We know what you're up to
4,700 Posts
I hear you. I installed my alum pumpkin in my roadster and was pretty much convinced it wouldn't go and then it did. Its a B!
It will fit, but it is a total B****!!! I did a similar thing with my roadster, upside down and kinda diagonal. Took a while to figure out the right angle. It is like those funky metal horse shoe puzzles you get at a western gift shop. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
I tried for half a day by myself to get this bloody thing in its designated place and was considering many options, including taking off the back cover. Then I asked my son to help me from below and it went in within 30 seconds. I think it is almost impossible as a one-man job, or at least it was for me. The two of us used the method in the build manual.
Jim

·
Registered
66 Posts
IRS Pumpkin

I had the same problem working by myself. I used a floor jack,, a transmission jack, a hoist,and tried to lift it in place with straps. I had just assembled it and did not want to take it apart. After 3 days what worked in 5 minutes was muscle, you have a feel for the path of least resistance with your hands you sometines don't have with tools. Do it first thing while your fresh.
Rudy T

·
Registered
918 Posts
Its a pia but it will go. I used a a cargo strap to hold the nose up into the frame while I twisted the thing around and it worked. The problem with the jack is that it actually gets in the way but the diff is too heavy for most of us to hold up and turn around at the same time.

·
Charter Member
1,766 Posts
I learned from the roadster that this was a B**** so here is what I did on the coupe.
I didn't want to damage my powder coating when the time came, and even if I never have to take it out again I know I can do it with ease.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,223 Posts
The aluminum housing is larger that the cast iron housing and I found that it only goes in one way. I bet I had mine in and out 5 times. I had the same friend help every time. He remembered the "right way" better than I did. Good luck!

·
1,405 Posts
I might as well jump on the dead horse as well.

I used a strap, 2 actually, to hold the nose in place and then wiggled it around from underneath. Eventually it fits. From what I recall I put in in nose 1st then angle it towards the front and to the right. As I let it fall forward I turned it clockwise into position.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Victory!!!!

After a couple more hours this morning I called my largest friend...GENTLE BEN...:) Rudy T was exactly right...."you have a feel for the path of least resistance with your hands..."

After we tried the jack a few times without success I pulled the pumpkin off the jack and started lifting, pushing and turning from the bottom and Ben pulled and guided from the top and it slid right up!!

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions and most importantly the encouragement...

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Next question...

Way to go! I needed a "Ben" when I did mine (by myself at about 1am one night).

Now the next question: What kind of mounts do you have for the front mounting points? I only ask because it just doesn't make any sense to me to have the diff mounted solid in the rear and rubber-mounted in the front. Isn't that just a recipe for cover destruction? I machined up a set of mounts for mine out of aluminum (and yes, I will be replacing the plastic breather nipple that broke off when installing the diff). Opinions?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bushings...

Well.....none. They were missing (no packing slip for the IRS Completion package). They are supposed to be getting some in Monday and will ship them out as soon as possible.

Ben, who builds rock crawler buggies, had the same question about the rear solid mount.

Chris

·
1,405 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts