Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received the mounting plates for my tri-state 4 into 4 headers. The holes for the exhaust ports are smaller than the ports on my heads (Edelbrock). The enclosed gasket is way wrong as well.

Anyway, I'm thinking about enlarging the mounting plates to fit the exhaust ports, otherwise there will be a big restriction (and using better gaskets). However, I don't know what it will take to open the ports. Has anyone out there done this? If so - how did you do it?

Thanks
-Sean

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,333 Posts
I opened mine up a bit, to match the head ports to the plate, using a die grinder. Not easy to do. I cleaned the mating surface of the heads with acetone and applied some white paint around the port, then held the mounting plate up to the head to mark where to trim. I scribed the line I wanted to trim to, then had at it with the grinder. First with a carbide cutting bit, then with some sanding drums to clean up the edges.

It's a pain, and probably not worth the effort.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Sean.
If your running large port heads it is normal to gasket match the flanges and the gaskets. However
depending on the flow of you heads,cam lift and other upgrades you may not be gaining anything by opening up the plates. ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea - I don't know if I will gain much - hence the post here. I do know that the openings cut the corners of the head openings by as much as 1/4". I just don't have the tools to do it -unless my dremel tool will do it ;)

Plus I can't wait to get them on the car - they look soooooooo good.

-Sean

·
Registered
918 Posts
Dremmel tool with course grinding wheel will work or a die grinder with a carbide blade will work. If you don't have the tool, mark the plates where you want the material removed and send them to me I will grind them out for you at no charge... ;)

·
Senior Charter Member
580 Posts
I made a new set of plates to fit my Ford N heads. Mike sells header plates to fit the standard Ford heads. The plate he sends will fit 221/260/289/302/351 heads. You could also use this header to fit a CHEV. or Dodge very easly. This header plate is the best set up for the guys who use cleveland heads( 302 Boss). Take your heads and plates to your machine shop and get them matched like your intake.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts