Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about this idea for a while so I thought I would try it out.
I want the look of a rivited scoop but don't want the labor of cutting off my old scoop, buying a new one and then putting it on.
So tonight I molded a .060" high ridge around my original scoop. All I have to do next is to drill the rivet holes and she will be done. I think it came out cool, time will tell if it will hold up. But it is really no different than doing body work on the hood, I hope it lasts, if it doesnt, oh well, I guess I have something to fix next winter.

Tell me what you think, good or bad. It took me 2 1/2 hours to do this including filing the untrimmed scoop hole.

Pat

·
Moderator Ad Nauseum
18,585 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,966 Posts
I've been waiting on someone to do this... It looks great. Don't forget to extend the surface of the hood an inch or two under the scoop and your faux rivet-on replica hood scoop will be complete! Good job!

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
have not wire brush beat the car yet, I will have to do that tomorrow, not looking forward to it, but it has to be done. thanks for the compliments, it was a fun thing to do.
i will prime everything in a few days

·
8,350 Posts
What an idea! That's the kind of thinking that keeps this forum interesting.

·
Junior Charter Member
223 Posts
Great post, & pics. I was thinking on the same lines. I never thought of using a peice of cardboard to give the thickness though.

John

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cardboard acted as thickness and template. its not perfect but these cars were all handmade anyway so its ok if its a little off.

thanks

·
Premium Member
5,526 Posts
Be sure to remind your body mand so he dosn't sand it off to smooth it out. :D

·
Supermoderator
12,393 Posts
Isn't it ironic how well a "replica" rivet-on scoop works on a "replica" hood that eventually will be fitted to a "replica" body to make a "replica" Cobra?

Nice idea...

·
FFCobra Captain
11,688 Posts
How are you going to secure the rivets. Before you drill the holes, you may want to put some filler on a test panel and then when it dries, drill the hole and install the rivet.

You just want to make sure that when you install the rivets, that they won't crumble the filler and the paint chips away. It would suck if that happened when the car was all painted & ready to go.

Really neat idea. One thing to be careful of. Make sure when you block the car, that you get the top of the scoop nice & flat. Mine is not perfect and you can tell when you're sitting in the car. Since your scoop is more of a focal point, make sure it's as close to perfectly flat as you can get it.

Good Luck.

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
i dunno but it seems just as labor intensive as doing the real thing...i'm not saying it's a bad idea and it looks right, but with all the required sanding and worrying whether it would hold up..why not just cut the original out and rivet in a new on...but that's me

·
We don't need no stinkin stitches
1,432 Posts
Pat,
Outstanding concept.
Good job.
Keep posting and show progress.
I'd like to see that in primer.
Will you add rivets before or after paint?
Do you still have the template?
To quote Chritopher Walken:
"Wow we wow wow"
You have a PM
Jack

·
Moderator Ad Nauseum
18,585 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
superglue rivets on is a good idea, no need to put to much pressure on them.
cracking ? will have to see over time, but if it does I can fix it later as I will be the one doing all the paint work anyway.
I will keep you guys posted.

thanks for all the positive comments.

·
5,206 Posts
Another idea is to not have it flush with the hood. I have seen many SPF's done this way and it looks good. However they miss the full look.
Also extend the front portion of the scoop about .75 inches.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts