Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, hooked up the clutch cable today and sat there for a good 15 minutes just shifting through the gears.
It'll be nice to have a manual tranny again (been 6 years). That centerforce clutch feels pretty firm... I see a hydraulic clutch down the road.

I've got a couple questions - is a 'circlip' to secure the cable housing something I can pick up at NAPA or Autozone? Is that what I should ask for?

I've been reading messages about clutch travel. How much is too much, and how much is not enough? Also, does the clutch fork go between the two nuts, or is one just a locking nut to prevent the other from loosening.

Is there supposed to be some kind of washer, on the clutch fork, or does the nut just slide through the large hole and hook on the smaller one. Seems like there should be some kind of ball or something more there. If someone has a picture, that'd be great here!

Where do I order the mechanical speedo plug from? Do parts stores carry this?

I've also read about needing to shim the transmission mount. There was about an 1/8" or 3/16" gap when I installed the mount, but I was able to just draw the transmission down onto the frame, so figured it was ok. There doesn't appear to be any bind, I roll the car in and out of the garage all the time; no noise or binding.

Jeff

·
Junior Charter Member
118 Posts
Jeff

With regard to the mechanical speedo plug, you can get one from any Tremec dealer. Part no. is 30-360-1x. Other option is to get an alternate plug From Fortes. Apparently he has his own plug that he has made in lieu of the Tremec part. His may save you a few dollars? Hope that helps you on the plug.

Jeff

·
Charter Member
3,060 Posts
Use a shim.

You might need a cable adjuster, I like mine a little "higher" in the pedal travel rather then all the way to the floor. When it it's running, if the shiting is kinda hard and it doesn't want to go into reverse - typically you need to adjust the cable to get more clutch engagement.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got a cable adjuster on the footbox, but I guess I need to actually drive it to see if it needs adjustment.

I'll give Mike a call or see if I can get that part. Thanks!

Can someone confirm how the clutch cable attches to the clutch fork? Is it held in place by tension alone?

Is the 'circlip' even necessary, or can I leave it out?

Thanks!
Jeff

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Use the circlip at the bellhousing to retain the clutch cable housing. At the fork there are two nuts, one is the adjustment nut (curved back side) that sits in the depression on the clutch fork. The second nut is a jam nut to secure the adjustment. Just cable tension retains it in the fork.

Many vendors and owners will tell you the aftermarket cables stretch too much and break easily. It is often recommended to use a stock Ford cable (best quality) with a combination firewall adjuster and adjustable quadrant on the pedal box. I have the adjustable cable myself right now (purchased before I learned this info) but will most likely convert back to the stock Ford cable before getting on the road.

Lastly, if you are sitting in the car "just rowing through the gears" PLEASE make sure the clutch is disengaged (pedal depressed). You can damage the transmission internals by just banging around from gear to gear...

HTH...
Mark

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, that definitely helps, thank you very much Mark! I have a firewall adjuster and FMS aluminum quadrant.

I'm going to steal an idea from Mike Forte (I think it was his post), and put a piece of old radiator hose under the quadrant, where it hits the clutch pedal stop. I can move the clutch closer to the footbox wall and give my long legs more room that way. Just playing with the gears, it seems like I have a couple inches of pedal room left after the clutch engages.

Thanks for the tip on using the clutch when 'rowing' through the gears. I was using the clutch, but it's good to know anyway.

Kind makes me wonder what kind of damage I did to mom and dads car when I was a kid, and would spin the motor at the same speed as the trans, and just shift without using the clutch! Ha ha!

Thanks again for the help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.